FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ROCK BASS  (Read 5107 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: ROCK BASS
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2022, 04:14 PM »
i love them on the  fly rod.....and they are  relentless a weighted  wolly  bugger and your getting fish all day
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Pequod1

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2022, 05:23 PM »
Got my first one today in one of my favorite fingerlakes. Nice size too. I was happy

trapper2000

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2022, 06:31 PM »
water is still pretty  cold  but they'll be  coming in big  numbers soon

jperch

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2022, 07:57 AM »
water is still pretty  cold  but they'll be  coming in big  numbers soon
When the apple trees blossom = rockies time!

Badbrad2186

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2022, 10:28 AM »
When the apple trees blossom = rockies time!

100 percent they just started budding this week next week or so should really turn on

trapper2000

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2022, 05:28 PM »
Rock Bass Reproduction Fishing Facts and Information
Rock Bass are not very large. While the largest one on record reaches about 3.5 pounds, most in lakes and rivers can be found between three-quarters of a pound to 1.5 pounds.

Like other members of the sunfish family, rock bass spawn in shallow water when the spring water temperature reaches between 60°F to 70°F/15°C to 21°C and their spawning cycle matches that of the smallmouth bass. The male builds a circular nest eight to ten inches in diameter. It uses its tail for clearing away debris.

One or many female Rock Bass may deposits as many as 5,000 eggs into the nest, which the male quickly fertilizes. The male guards the eggs until they hatch three or four days later. A few days later, the hatched fry move into shallow, protected vegetated areas.

Once the fry have hatched, the young Rock Bass are found only in quiet water areas protected from waves and strong current. In their first year, they grow to two inches, as much as four inches in the second year before reaching seven inches in the third year.

Food Preference during Mating

The male Rock Bass will not eat during spawning and once the fry emerge from the eggs, they will protect them for a few weeks before eating again. However, it is still possible to catch them during the spring spawning season because of their instinct to defend their territory and their offspring. The male can be provoked to strike out of anger if the lure or bait comes within reach of the nest or the fry. Any bait or small lure will prove successful during spawning if you cast towards where they are nesting. The female is chassed off and can be caught in all the regular places that offer cover like docks and rock piles.

https://bassfishing-gurus.com/rock-bass-reproduction-fishing-facts-and-information/#:~:text=Like%20other%20members%20of%20the,tail%20for%20clearing%20away%20debris.:~:text=Like%20other%20members%20of%20the,tail%20for%20clearing%20away%20debris.   

pretty good read if your interested

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2022, 05:43 PM »
Piseco and Canadarago have some monsters in them.. ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

lowaccord66

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2022, 07:37 AM »
Piseco and Canadarago have some monsters in them.. ;)

Is piseco quiet in the warm months?  Out in the middle of nowhere. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2022, 11:07 AM »
Is piseco quiet in the warm months?  Out in the middle of nowhere.

Used to snowmobile all that area, and the lake, back in the 90's.

Awesome area.

lowaccord66

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2022, 06:56 PM »

Used to snowmobile all that area, and the lake, back in the 90's.

Awesome area.

It is.  I've been tempted to go jig there for lakers but always had the impression they were on the small size.  Throw in some big rock bass and that may tip the scales enough to go.

KingPerch

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2022, 06:32 PM »
“Hey Trapper, I found a honey hole of these for you!!”- Josh😎
Your buddy is on them right now, Trap!!😁
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

TomFish

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2022, 10:50 AM »
I was crappie fishing this weekend, and struggling to find a consistent bite.

If i cast it in and it sat for a minute before a bite it could be crappie or more likely a bluegill. But if it got bit on the fall, it was a rock bass every single time. Aggressive little fellas. Bit the tails off several of my plastics too.

Not my favorite fish to catch, but at least gave me some entertainment when the crappies were tight lipped.

Pequod1

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2022, 11:33 AM »
i have not been able to get out in almost two weeks as soon as i am back from LA i could use some panfish action. A few rockies would make my day.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2022, 11:46 AM »
i have not been able to get out in almost two weeks as soon as i am back from LA i could use some panfish action. A few rockies would make my day.

Check you inbox

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.