FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New New York State Record Smallmouth bass?  (Read 4842 times)

lowaccord66

Re: New New York State Record Smallmouth bass?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 17, 2022, 09:55 PM »
Who cares if it was a bed fish or not.  Awesome smallmouth.  Congrats to the guy that caught it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2022, 02:32 AM »
 Yep it’s a trophy
 Jon all I said was they are in trouble do to the water temps , caught perch the week before that hadn’t spawned yet that Was another way I had an idea they were most likely on beds

Pequod1

« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2022, 06:36 AM »
    I am not a fan of taking bass off the beds because of the gobies. That being said, the bass are still hanging around the beds now in the fingerlakes.  The last two perch trips have netted us a few noteworthy bass up to 22”. Water temps were mid 60’s last Wednesday.

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2022, 08:48 AM »
Most anglers, from what I was told, we’re sight fishing bedded bass on Cayuga during the tourney on Wednesday. A Wednesday night tourney on Onondaga lake was won on bed fish. We fished Onondaga last weekend. Bed fish all over that lake. Water temp was 67-69*. A guide friend of mine just told me that Ontario is still 63-65* where he’s been fishing.

I think a large lake can handle that better than smaller lakes. And apparently your DEC thinks it's not a problem?

In my state of Indiana we don't have a closed season on bass both smallmouth or largemouth. We get tournament anglers from out of state due to their seasons being closed. I'm not bashing tournament anglers just saying it like it is.

And yes that is a nice fish and congrats to the angler.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2022, 09:05 AM »
 Oneida lake has a tournament almost every weekend, so there is constant attention to bass , and the lake is full of gobies  , maybe that has something to do with the SMB number decline

jperch

« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2022, 09:11 AM »
Don't you think the Great Lakes waters warm more slowly due to their size -- hence later spawning?
That could very well be true, especially for Lake O.  Water temp on the St L varies quite a bit, lots of shallow bays.  In the Fall the water temp on the river tends to be warmer than the lake, in my experience.  I always thought that was because the river is probably drawing warmer surface water off the lake with the prevailing Westerly winds.  That is very nice for SCUBA divers.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2022, 01:13 PM »
That could very well be true, especially for Lake O.  Water temp on the St L varies quite a bit, lots of shallow bays.  In the Fall the water temp on the river tends to be warmer than the lake, in my experience.  I always thought that was because the river is probably drawing warmer surface water off the lake with the prevailing Westerly winds.  That is very nice for SCUBA divers.

Fascinating.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

reeleyz

« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2022, 02:34 PM »
Oneida lake has a tournament almost every weekend, so there is constant attention to bass , and the lake is full of gobies  , maybe that has something to do with the SMB number decline

It definitely can’t help the bass population. That’s for sure.

Didn’t the smallmouth bass population in Ontario also drop right after the gobies arrived? Mexico Bay used to be loaded with smallmouth.

filetandrelease

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2022, 02:54 PM »

Bruce I believe your right
  I remember an old Italian fellow that like to fish bass and I use to go with him once in a while off catfish creek and catch stupid numbers of SMB

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2022, 03:33 PM »
??????????????
No. The smallmouths are eating the gobies.   Watch an Elite tournament out of Waddington and all those guys head for the big water.
 Look at all the latest gobie imitation lures out now.   Just my opinion…  :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

reeleyz

« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2022, 04:34 PM »
Oh smallmouth definitely hammer gobies. I am talking about when they get pulled off their beds.

Isn’t that Waddington Tourney mid summer?

I fish the river quite a bit in August and the deep water is loaded with bass.

reeleyz

« Reply #26 on: Jun 18, 2022, 05:05 PM »
I was trying to find a video that I saw from a study showing how long it takes for a bass to get back on the bed after release. It was longer than I would have thought.

Here is one about gobies eating bass fry. So it’s not just the beds that they have an affect on.

https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/will-gobies-actually-eat-smallmouth-bass-fry/

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Jun 18, 2022, 05:10 PM »
Oh smallmouth definitely hammer gobies. I am talking about when they get pulled off their beds.

Your right.. 
The gobies will move in on a nest as soon as a parent is pulled off. 
 Even where gobies are not present there’s always sunfish sitting just outside the bass nests waiting for that parent to be pulled out.   
  :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

KingPerch

« Reply #28 on: Jun 18, 2022, 06:17 PM »

Mid summer deep smallmouth fishing on that river is insane. I don’t own one goby imitation bait. And, don’t need them. Most of our deep or shallow fishing is dropshotting of minnow imitations.
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

reeleyz

« Reply #29 on: Jun 18, 2022, 07:00 PM »
Mid summer deep smallmouth fishing on that river is insane. I don’t own one goby imitation bait. And, don’t need them. Most of our deep or shallow fishing is dropshotting of minnow imitations.

There is definitely no shortage of bass there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.