FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: what canoe to buy  (Read 1496 times)

62 & Done

what canoe to buy
« on: Jun 17, 2022, 10:15 AM »
I'm looking to purchase a canoe and would like some advise :
    Probably a 12'  preferably light wt as I go alone
    Can't do a kayak as you sit too close to the floor-hurts my hips
    Looked at a sportspal but was told they can be hard to paddle-like the stability though
    Just would like to spend a few hours on small waters during a camping trip

Any advise any body ?  Thanks

greensider

Re: what canoe to buy
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2022, 10:45 AM »
I have a 12 foot raddison have had it for over 25 years best fishing canoe ever made wide very light will float a lot of weight

greensider

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2022, 12:39 PM »
Also it's available in a square back and transom back for a motor I wish I got that and the 14 footer. And foam seats are better than wicker because you sit lower in it for better balance

SeanP

• Formally known as SPN
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2022, 01:09 PM »
Cant beat a Grumman,  Durable and light weight aluminum.  Lots and lots of them have been made.  Mad River and Wenonah are great Kevlar/composite types but demand a higher premium......

As far as kayaks,  there are a ton of options with regards to seat height, I have an Accend 12 footer sit on top that the seat is quite elevated.

SeanP

greensider

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2022, 01:36 PM »
I just saw you mentioned sportspal that's raddison you can row them like a row boat they have oarlocks moves fast

CNYperchsearch

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2022, 06:01 AM »
I went with an Old Town Discovery solo canoe when I switched from a kayak.  It weighs a little less than 50 pounds, which is more than the kevlar models but a lot less expensive. Using a kayak paddle instead of canoe paddle has made a big difference in maneuverability.  Plus, lots more room for fishing and hunting gear.

Pequod1

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2022, 06:18 AM »
I’m your age or better and I owned a 12’ sports pal for years. It was a good very light canoe and because of its width very stable. I hooked up a small Minn kota to a motor mount attachment hey sell . I liked that better than the square stern because it is a lot easier to reach the throttle handle to your side than directly behind you. 
What I did not like were the foam seats.  They are low, good for stability but not good for an older person with hip  or knee problems. However, I bought a high swivel type seat that fit in the canoe and raised me up enough to stretch my knees. The seat is used in those plastic paddle type boats. I’m not sure if they are available.
Unfortunately, the canoe held up better than me over the years and I do not feel as safe in them as I once did. I had to sell it.

iceman260

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2022, 06:23 AM »
X2 on the sports pal, very stable canoe used to stand up and blowfish carpet out of one.

greensider

« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2022, 01:00 PM »
X2 on the sports pal, very stable canoe used to stand up and blowfish carpet out of one.
the new foam seats are another layer higher but I also got a fold up low seat now I am really comfy in it also moved the center bar back 4 inches now my paddles don't hit my chest when I have a life jacket on

62 & Done

« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2022, 04:10 PM »
Thanks guys   I think greensider hit the nail for me  I found a radison dealer close by,  I can see me in one before long

greensider

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2022, 04:25 PM »
Search marketplace and Craig's I have seen them for far less than the over priced new ones

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2022, 10:19 AM »
mine is the  14 ft  mad river  adventure .it's  57  pounds   very comfortable in waster plenty of room  i fish out of it trapped and hunted ....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.