FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tuna trolling  (Read 1673 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Tuna trolling
« on: Jun 28, 2022, 10:32 AM »
Looking for advice on setups. I would like 2 rod/reel combos for spreader bars. I really do not want to buy new so I've been looking around and want to make sure I spend my money wisely.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

Re: Tuna trolling
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Forgot to mention Melton International when we were texting earlier.  Check them out.  Last year I couldnt get 50w or 80w so we jigged.  I was going to add outriggers and the trolling gear this season but I'm still not in my slip yet.  Anyways Melton has some 4 and 6 rod combos you can buy.  Shimano was like 4-6k, Penn was a bit cheaper. 

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2022, 05:19 AM »
Are you looking for giants? Just got our NMFS Permit yesterday... I will just be looking for little ones 300lbs and under and even smaller ones with my new 14wt... Good luck on the heavy gear, I don't see many deals for them often.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2022, 06:06 AM »
Are you looking for giants? Just got our NMFS Permit yesterday... I will just be looking for little ones 300lbs and under and even smaller ones with my new 14wt... Good luck on the heavy gear, I don't see many deals for them often.

No I am looking for little ones as well. Those 27-47" would be perfect especially when I can keep 3. Just looking for 2 setups even used that will work. I have a few avet reels that I think would do the job as long as littles bite.
Wicked Wec

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2022, 07:17 AM »
I think that a shop could do well renting out the heavy gear; for those that don't get out that often, need an extra setup or two, or just want to try it out... Couple hundred bucks a day, deposit, you could pay it off in less than a season and you can bet that most buy from you after that and in the end, you sell them as used... If I still worked at a shop on the coast...

gotagetm

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2022, 07:48 AM »
curious...how much does a decent heavy set up rod and reel cost for trolling tuna?
ben

Steve H.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2022, 07:54 AM »
curious...how much does a decent heavy set up rod and reel cost for trolling tuna?
ben

A "small" (50) reel is over $700.  Another $200+ for a basic rod.  Another hundred+ for line/leader.  Gets spendy.

And that's for the 50s.  80s are considerably more expensive.  And of course 130s are over a grand just for the reel.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2022, 11:24 AM »
I need about 18k to rig my boat for trolling.  6 rod setup of 50w a couple 80's and outriggers. 

What will really surprise you is the spreader bar costs.  You can spend thousands. 

Good reminder I need to renew my permit for the highly migratory species.  Mike dont go without that.  Take your shark quiz.  Use google if you dont know an answer.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2022, 11:26 AM »
No I am looking for little ones as well. Those 27-47" would be perfect especially when I can keep 3. Just looking for 2 setups even used that will work. I have a few avet reels that I think would do the job as long as littles bite.

Jig and throw poppers.  Way better off if you want the school tuna.  If you setup for trolling you can catch gbt and should rig as such. 

gotagetm

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2022, 01:44 PM »
WOW..ok...wife can't get upset when I get new walleye reels for us ...I'll tell her could be worse lol
Actually she doesn't care what I buy...within reason of course
Ben

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2022, 03:00 PM »
I need about 18k to rig my boat for trolling.  6 rod setup of 50w a couple 80's and outriggers. 

What will really surprise you is the spreader bar costs.  You can spend thousands. 

Good reminder I need to renew my permit for the highly migratory species.  Mike dont go without that.  Take your shark quiz.  Use google if you dont know an answer.

Way ahead of you Jon. HMS and shark endorsement been completed for months now.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2022, 07:51 AM »
WOW..ok...wife can't get upset when I get new walleye reels for us ...I'll tell her could be worse lol
Actually she doesn't care what I buy...within reason of course
Ben

Its silly.  A Ronz for tuna is like 30 bucks for a single jig. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2022, 07:55 AM »
Its silly.  A Ronz for tuna is like 30 bucks for a single jig.

And that is exactly what i have tied on (5oz) on my spinning set up every time I am on the tuna grounds. Sounds like my spinning set up should be changed over to a few feet of wire for sharks and may see more action. Would love to add 1 more porbeagle to the freezer before that fishery is closed down as well.

If you haven't seen it - https://www.ricentral.com/arts_entertainment/no-going-around-the-block-for-tuna-in-the-gully/article_5588e154-ee2e-11eb-8cfa-cf90950eee11.html
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2022, 11:20 AM »
I hooked a few sharks drifitng giant eels last season.  Fought one for 20 mins chasing with the boat and lost it.

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: Jun 30, 2022, 03:04 PM »
One of the reasons I got the 14wt was for sharks...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.