FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Family Trip on the Cape for a week!  (Read 3246 times)

stripernut

Family Trip on the Cape for a week!
« on: Jun 29, 2022, 05:51 AM »
The "family" have rented a big house in Eastham (we are all getting a little old for a week of camping), sadly not on the water (2nd week in July). The house sleeps 10 and is filled, including Will (Baitbucket) and his wife, I also have my son from CO and his wife flying in and staying in a B&B up the street (I told him to bring some of his trout so we could use them for bait!) We are towing the boat down and have a slip for the week at Saquatucket Marina (the South side of the Cape in Harwich). Plan to fish Monomoy Rips among other places. It will not be 7 days of non-stop fishing (if I want to stay married and we just had our 38th last week, so I do), and some of the time on the water will be with the Grandkids (staying at Nickerson with their parents). So if anyone has any tips or suggestions (maybe wants to buddy boat) I am all ears... If the weather is perfect we might make a run to the tuna grounds off Chatham, but stripers, fluke, and most anything else that bites will be our focus. I even plan to do some Blue Crabbing, YUM!

westernmas

Re: Family Trip on the Cape for a week!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2022, 09:26 AM »
Sounds like you are in for quite the vacation week.  My parents have a place right down the road from Saquatucket Harbor.  I would highly recommend getting a bite to eat and a drink or two at Brax Landing.  It can get busy at times but the food and drinks are quite good and you can watch the boats come in and out of the harbor if you get a table outside.  Not sure if there are squid around still but I did a charter out of bass river a few years back and trolled squid flies in the monomoy rips on leadcore with conventional rods.  I also got a couple using the squid flies on my 8wt and floating line.  The freshwater fishing in Nickerson is quite good (as I'm sure you already know) too so you might want to tell your son to pack some trout stuff as well.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2022, 11:21 AM »
Im off the 16th to 24th and either will drive to montana for trout (depending on river conditions) or I will be on my big boat each day.  I was thinking about motoring over to a transient dock on MV for the week if I dont go west. 

If I am in the salt Ill hit you up Allan.  Sounds like a great trip for you and the fam.  For the rips, we slay on lighter tackle jigging plastics.

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2022, 12:59 PM »
The freshwater fishing in Nickerson is quite good (as I'm sure you already know) too so you might want to tell your son to pack some trout stuff as well.
Plan to bring the gear and a canoe. Thanks for the tip on where to eat!

I was thinking about motoring over to a transient dock on MV for the week if I don't go west. If I am in the salt Ill hit you up Allan.
Hope I get to see you.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2022, 07:52 AM »
Likewise although I am really interested in going out west but need to see if theres fishable water post flooding.

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2022, 02:59 PM »
I would point you to my son out in Pagosa Spring CO, one of his clients released a 25" brown yesterday... But, he will be out fishing this way that week!

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2022, 09:05 PM »
I would point you to my son out in Pagosa Spring CO, one of his clients released a 25" brown yesterday... But, he will be out fishing this way that week!

Researching the Gunnison.  Looks amazing.

Dirt23

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2022, 05:38 AM »
Researching the Gunnison.  Looks amazing.
Gunnison is amazing visited uncle out there multiple times lots of good water.  The headwaters of Taylor river are insane. 

Bartman44

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2022, 07:14 AM »
The "family" have rented a big house in Eastham (we are all getting a little old for a week of camping), sadly not on the water (2nd week in July). The house sleeps 10 and is filled, including Will (Baitbucket) and his wife, I also have my son from CO and his wife flying in and staying in a B&B up the street (I told him to bring some of his trout so we could use them for bait!) We are towing the boat down and have a slip for the week at Saquatucket Marina (the South side of the Cape in Harwich). Plan to fish Monomoy Rips among other places. It will not be 7 days of non-stop fishing (if I want to stay married and we just had our 38th last week, so I do), and some of the time on the water will be with the Grandkids (staying at Nickerson with their parents). So if anyone has any tips or suggestions (maybe wants to buddy boat) I am all ears... If the weather is perfect we might make a run to the tuna grounds off Chatham, but stripers, fluke, and most anything else that bites will be our focus. I even plan to do some Blue Crabbing, YUM!

Sounds like a great trip planned. My only advice is to not swim in a black wet suit and to not overplay your fish as the great whites are setting up nicely around the cape for their summer vacation too.  ;D

Have a great time!   

Bartman44

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2022, 07:18 AM »
Im off the 16th to 24th and either will drive to montana for trout (depending on river conditions) or I will be on my big boat each day.  I was thinking about motoring over to a transient dock on MV for the week if I dont go west. 

If I am in the salt Ill hit you up Allan.  Sounds like a great trip for you and the fam.  For the rips, we slay on lighter tackle jigging plastics.

That's quite the drive, stop at the "Mo", tailwater, no flooding. 

I have a trip booked for Wyoming and South Dakota in the fall but I'm flying (unless my flight gets canceled  :()   

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2022, 03:01 PM »
Seen a thresher in the bay this past weekend.
Wicked Wec

stripernut

« Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 2022, 04:05 PM »
We have a slip on the South Side, but we may pull the boat for a day and put it out of Wellfleet...

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jul 05, 2022, 04:32 PM »
That's quite the drive, stop at the "Mo", tailwater, no flooding. 

I have a trip booked for Wyoming and South Dakota in the fall but I'm flying (unless my flight gets canceled  :()

Flying is the way to go if you don't need your boat. I flew once and it was fast and easy. Just missed my boat.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

2muchleft

« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2022, 05:32 AM »
If you do decide to pull the boat for a day travel out to Truro and launch out of Pamet harbor.  You can still reach Billingsgate shoals or fish the tip of the cape and around to race point.  Always good this time of year.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2022, 06:02 AM »
Anyone know the beam restriction for mass highways?  I'm a notch to wide for CT and NY.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.