FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wild Kingdom on the river  (Read 1100 times)

rivereddy

Wild Kingdom on the river
« on: Jun 24, 2022, 10:17 AM »
It's gonna be 90 again today so I up and made an early visit to the local.  I hit the water just before dawn and let's just say, the fishin' and the catchin' were pretty good.  I fished for about 90 minutes and had continuous action. I caught a handful of sunfish and 7 smallies - two of which gave the drag a little buzz. I also got to observe a couple of wildlife moments.  The longear sunnies are spawning now and furiouosly guarding their redds.  I saw one somehow bite an interloper head on.  He got a mouthfull of lip and for several seconds, they were locked together.  They spun round and round in that position. Their chromatophores lit up and they put on quite a show.  I must add the larger of the two might have hit the tape at 5". On the wooded path back to the Jeep I heard what sounded to be a rather large bird in distress.  I rounded a bend in the trail and immediately found the source of the cries.  Laying accross the trail was a hen woody flopping and trying to get away from me.  All she could manage was a few pathetic wingbeats which carried her maybe 5' further away.  She put on quite a show. Trouble was the brood didn't get with the program.  As soon as she flopped and floundered down the trail, 8 chicks came  out of hiding and followed her! she'd stop and freeze and they'd again hide in the weeds until she "kildeered" off again... This went on for a couple of minutes until we got to a point where the trail branched.  She flopped one way and I took the other.  All in a quite a show...

fish on,

rivereddy

taxid

Re: Wild Kingdom on the river
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2022, 06:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2022, 08:10 AM »
Great report. Would guess not many have witnessed that!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

BBLoon

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2022, 12:35 PM »
What a great outdoor educational experience.  Thanks for sharing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.