FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 24 inch close to 9 lb. brown caught in Olin Lake  (Read 2148 times)

taxid

24 inch close to 9 lb. brown caught in Olin Lake
« on: Jul 09, 2022, 07:47 AM »
Fish was caught on the bottom fishing for channel catfish with a dead chub. Caught by the daughter of Gary Sheets. Unfortunately my source didn't giver her first name.

You can always count on a a few large brown trout holding over wherever they are planted. Rainbows usually disappear at 3 to 4 years of age if they even last that long.

Fishing this chain since the 1970's I've always noticed a tendency for the larger holdover browns to stay close to the bottom while the rainbows are usually suspended zooplankton feeders and don't live as long.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Daybreak

Re: 24 inch close to 9 lb. brown caught in Olin Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2022, 12:07 PM »
Great fish!
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2022, 12:39 PM »

Awesome brown

indianahooker

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2022, 04:34 PM »
when was last time browns were stocked in there?  thats a chunk of meat there.  just wondering howe many could be swimming in there.  i know 2 guys that trout fish that chain.  they said they only catch a few bows over 20".  one guy said he caught a 22" brown 3 years ago but that was the only keeper he has caught.  one guy trolls the other night fishes that chain.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2022, 06:39 AM »
when was last time browns were stocked in there?  thats a chunk of meat there.  just wondering howe many could be swimming in there.  i know 2 guys that trout fish that chain.  they said they only catch a few bows over 20".  one guy said he caught a 22" brown 3 years ago but that was the only keeper he has caught.  one guy trolls the other night fishes that chain.

Browns are added with the rainbows just about every year with some exceptions. Last I knew they are extra fish from a federal hatchery in Kentucky. There is an 18 inch size limit on the browns, but I know for a fact some people still keep them under that size. Many can't tell a brown from a rainbow especially in the summer when they are silvery in color just like the rainbows. And the INDNR fishing guide says a brown has no spots on it's caudal fin vs. a rainbow LOL which we all know is not true. So if guy catches a brown with spots on its tail he could be excused for thinking it's a rainbow?

Browns are more difficult to catch and there alway seems to be a few that live quite a while. Rainbows typically live up to a couple of years after planting (if that) and are more of a put and take fish (at least in the Oliver Lake chain.

Personally having fished the Olive Lake Chain since the 70's, I believe the holdover browns tend to be bottom oriented vs. the rainbows that suspend more feeding on zooplankton. That may contribute to why less browns are caught.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

iceman260

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2022, 06:45 AM »
Awesome fish and happy fisherwoman.

indianahooker

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2022, 05:31 PM »
Browns are added with the rainbows just about every year with some exceptions. Last I knew they are extra fish from a federal hatchery in Kentucky. There is an 18 inch size limit on the browns, but I know for a fact some people still keep them under that size. Many can't tell a brown from a rainbow especially in the summer when they are silvery in color just like the rainbows. And the INDNR fishing guide says a brown has no spots on it's caudal fin vs. a rainbow LOL which we all know is not true. So if guy catches a brown with spots on its tail he could be excused for thinking it's a rainbow?

Browns are more difficult to catch and there alway seems to be a few that live quite a while. Rainbows typically live up a couple of years after planting (if that) and are more of a put and take fish (at least in the Oliver Lake chain.

Personally having fished the Olive Lake Chain since the 70's, I believe the holdover browns tend to be bottom oriented vs. the rainbows that suspend more feeding on zooplankton. That may contribute to why less browns are caught.

so there is no set number of browns that get stocked?  why dont they say they stock them?  do they get stocked in the other trout stocked too? 

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2022, 07:49 PM »
Not sure about a set number or if the are planted at the same time as the bows, but the stocking of the browns is publicized just like the bows.

indianahooker

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2022, 09:24 AM »
i can't find any brown stocking data for Oliver. can you post the link please.

never mind found some. https://www.in.gov/dnr/fish-and-wildlife/fishing/indiana-fish-stocking/

taxid

indianahooker

« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2022, 04:13 PM »
after looking the numbers over its apparent they dont survive well either.  2-4000 stocked every year and just a few caught of any size.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2022, 08:08 PM »
after looking the numbers over its apparent they dont survive well either.  2-4000 stocked every year and just a few caught of any size.

There are some hungry monster pike in that chain that chow down on stockers. I've seen them up to almost 26 pounds and 45 inches. There are more than people realize as few target them. I had a customer that targeted them and caught a big one now and then including the nearly 26 pound 45 inch fish I mounted for him. Both in Oliver and Olin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.