FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chicopee River  (Read 776 times)

bogtrotter

Chicopee River
« on: Jul 09, 2022, 06:38 PM »
I happened to be down that way with my younger son, so we seized the opportunity to fish the Chicopee River (off Granby Road) for a couple hours this afternoon.

It was sunny and hot (90 degrees) and I was taken aback by how low the water levels were.

Despite the less than auspicious conditions, the fishing was pretty good.

We caught a half dozen or so small mouth bass - - with the biggest two running 16" and 18".

We saw a couple other fishermen, and I talked to one of them, who reported similar success with the smalli mouth, and also said he caught some good-sized rock bass.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: Chicopee River
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2022, 05:28 AM »
those are some quality Bass congrats.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Ryan51993

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2022, 08:29 AM »
That might explain why they're still letting extra water out of the quabbin. Believe it or not the chicopee would be even lower if the Swift was at its normal flow for this time of year. I fished a section of the ware yesterday and I swear I could have crossed it with regular boots on and not got my feet wet, maybe 3 inches deep the whole way across. We definitely need rain.

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2022, 09:56 AM »
We definitely need rain.

Agreed.  Somebody do a rain dance already.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2022, 07:04 PM »
Be careful what you ask for. We went into drought mode out here in the midwest for a few weeks and then some areas around me ended up with 6 to 10 inches of rain via training thunderstorms in just one day.

I do hope you get your needed rain! One of my favorite ponds out your way is tied in directly with the aquifer and when the aquifer goes down the pond goes down. Also a lot of use by residents and and more and more industry in that area of Massachusetts. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.