FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Post Standard Sunday paper. Walleyes found dead in Otisco Lake  (Read 2566 times)

hinkydo

The DEC is investigating.
Hope the results of the findings let us know what happened.

hinkydo FISH ON

greensider

Investigating what

hinkydo

at least 100 walleyes found dead on the lake.   

hinkydo

greensider

Sounds fishy hoe they figure it out

hinkydo

No word yet on the walleye die off in Otisco?
 Wondering if anyone has heard?

hinkydo

hinkydo

A good read, thanks Mac.
 would be nice if they found out something and told us.

hinkydo

taxid

Thanks for the OP and for Mac sharing the link.

Outbreaks of viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus, or VHSV, are responsible for many large fish kills of various freshwater species since it was first detected in the Great Lakes region in 2005.

That's not accurate. VHS may have killed several species, but there were not MANY fish kills due to it. And I know in one case the size of a fish kill attributed to VHS was greatly exaggerated. I'm not sure there has been more than one since 2005, which was of course a few decades ago. It just irks me when inaccurate statements like this are profligated by people that should know better.

I just spent $800.00 testing trout for a virus (VHS) that has never been found in my Great Lakes state or any fish farm anywhere!  My State Board of Animal Health tested fish in just about every body of water and found not one positive! And this is true in other Great Lakes states too. But outside of the Great Lakes fish farms are not required to test for VHS.

There's also evidence that VHS may have been an a secondary infection that strikes stressed fish as in rapid temperature changes, low D.O. etc.

An btw if they didn't sample a fish that was still alive but having issues or very very recently died then sampling is pretty much worthless. All kinds of bacteria have contaminated the sample.

100 in a 2000 acre lake? Almost not statistically relevant. Wind issues could have blown the floaters into an isolated area. I've be asking if there was a careless tournament in the area recently that did a bad job of catch and release (it does happen and I'm not picking on tournaments) combined with water temp or turn over issues. If a fish is already stressed, a second stressor can put them over the top.

O.K. I'm off my soap box now.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.