FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Consider taking advantage of this unique fishery...  (Read 2019 times)

LundProv

Consider taking advantage of this unique fishery...
« on: Mar 07, 2023, 09:23 AM »
For those of us here in Indiana, there is no better time than the present to consider carving out some time to fish Lake Michigan.  I am an older guy (67) who lives 20 minutes from Lake Michigan and has fished it seasonally for many years.  The no brainer this time of year is the pursuit of salmon and trout.  While jigging/casting in certain warm water areas can be productive, trolling seems to be the main focus.  This is incredibly easy and as you know, we are allowed 3 lines per fisherperson.  This is as simple as watching the weather, launching out and once on the lake, casting back your favorite crankbait.  Speed varies but most of us are able to accomplish a speed of 2 or so with our trolling motors.  You can often hoist these spring coho's and other catches into the boat but it never hurts to bring a net.  These fish are very easy to clean and there is no limit as to the variety of ways you can prepare the fillets for the table.  If the weather is right - and that is a big if this time of year - consider giving the perch fishing a try.  It is no secret that limits (15) of rather large perch are being taken this year, offshore, out in front of US Steel.  Over the years, I would have patients come through the office and tell me stories about the "winter" perch fishery north of US Steel.  I may have tried it once or twice over the years but never focused much on this as I had other normal distractions of life and it was winter.  Well, this year seems to be exceptional.  I also have a perfect situation where my oldest boy has more passion for fishing than I do (I wonder who planted that seed...) and frequently encourages me to get out of the recliner and get into the boat.  He is kind enough to let me tag along with him and his buddies.
REMEMBER... Fishing Lake Michigan is unique in all seasons.  This is a beautiful lake but is very unforgiving and you have to be very cautious.  There are specific safety items required by the Coast Guard and you need to use your head.  If you are not comfortable with going 2-3 miles off shore to the perch grounds, stay away unless it is just a perfect day.  Access to the salmon/trout this time of year is very close to shore and if you pursue these fish, make certain you have a trout/salmon stamp as part of your license.  In all my days of living in this area and fishing for perch in Lake Michigan, I do not recall a year that was this productive both in size and numbers as what we have seen this year. The salmon/trout season has also been very good.  Who knows how long it will last but I would encourage you to give it a try.

fishinator

Re: Consider taking advantage of this unique fishery...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2023, 11:07 AM »
If only my boat was a little bigger.....

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2023, 01:35 PM »
If only  my little14 footer with the  9.8 were a lot bigger.........!

fish on,

rivereddy

fishinator

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2023, 07:49 AM »
If only  my little14 footer with the  9.8 were a lot bigger.........!

fish on,

rivereddy
I have a 16' with a 40hp, tie them together and we should be fine!

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2023, 09:12 AM »
My sons bought me a new 16.5 with a 50 and I am leery. Hope to get out in a couple more weeks on the big lake, if the weather ever breaks.

fishinator

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2023, 10:31 AM »
My sons bought me a new 16.5 with a 50 and I am leery. Hope to get out in a couple more weeks on the big lake, if the weather ever breaks.
mine is a 16' aluminum modified v. On the right day I have had it out a ways, almost to Michigan.  Unfortunately it's hard to find the right days.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2023, 05:21 PM »
mine is a 16' aluminum modified v. On the right day I have had it out a ways, almost to Michigan.  Unfortunately it's hard to find the right days.

Those big lakes can get scary. I was 10 miles out on Lake Huron with some drunk fellow Air National Guard guys when the motor conked out. We did get it started again, but the inboard motor started coming loose from the inside of the transom. I had to lay on the floor of the boat with my feet holding it place all the way back in. I should have known better to go out with those guys, especially since no one else in our unit was interested. A bad sign was when they checked the level of gas in the tank with a stick. Someone told me later they wait until the captain as all the bugs worked out. Gee thanks for not telling me!  :wacko:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

LundProv

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2023, 08:19 PM »
Yes, the big lake is serious business as are all lakes.  I have a very seasoned friend with a large 22' Hewes Craft with a 200 honda and he fishes the big lake several times per week.  He launches out of Portage and told me this week, even with all his experience, he got too excited about going out to perch fish and did not secure the launch rope on the rear cleat of the boat.  He said he motored the 7 miles or so to the perch grounds and thought nothing of it until he was slowing down and felt a vibration and things seemed strange.  He looked back and realized the launch rope had found its way into the prop and was wrapped several times.  22' boat - 200 honda - seasoned veteran - only one other boat out...  Fortunately, he did not panick and with the aid of the other boater, was able to trim up and cut out the entangled rope.  So far, it appears that no damage was done but time will tell.  Obviously, a huge oversight on his part but by the grace of God, things turned out OK. 

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2023, 08:45 PM »
Yes, the big lake is serious business as are all lakes.  I have a very seasoned friend with a large 22' Hewes Craft with a 200 honda and he fishes the big lake several times per week.  He launches out of Portage and told me this week, even with all his experience, he got too excited about going out to perch fish and did not secure the launch rope on the rear cleat of the boat.  He said he motored the 7 miles or so to the perch grounds and thought nothing of it until he was slowing down and felt a vibration and things seemed strange.  He looked back and realized the launch rope had found its way into the prop and was wrapped several times.  22' boat - 200 honda - seasoned veteran - only one other boat out...  Fortunately, he did not panick and with the aid of the other boater, was able to trim up and cut out the entangled rope.  So far, it appears that no damage was done but time will tell.  Obviously, a huge oversight on his part but by the grace of God, things turned out OK.

Yes human error can get you every time. Something pilots can tell you also - or not -- because they are no longer with us.

Back to the prop thing: There was an hispanic gentleman fishing with a landline off a boat ramp one day just before I launched my boat. He left and I launched my boat. Not sure when or how I noticed, but I ended up with his handline wrapped around my prop a few hundred times. Appeared to be about 30 lb. mono IIRR. Just remember it being super thick.  Needless to say I was not a happy camper, but I too lucked out and didn't end up with any damage. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.