FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cranking/Electronics  (Read 2543 times)

yellowned

Cranking/Electronics
« on: Apr 13, 2023, 01:05 PM »
What battery ( type and brand)do you use in your boat to start your motor and run your electronics?

fish/hunt4ever

Re: Cranking/Electronics
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2023, 04:17 PM »
The new boat came with just a lead acid battery from interstate, ran Walmart batteries just want to make sure you have enough cranking amps as my old motor needed at least 1000 cranking amps, but also run my electronics off my trolling motor batteries and habe run the group 27 cabelas batteries. My original battery for the old boat was just a cabelas cranking battery.

Ice Dawg

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2023, 05:03 PM »
Interstate group 27.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2023, 05:14 AM »
I run interstate batteries as well!!!
They're the best acid batteries I've used. 
I put 2 group 31 deep cycles up front for my terrova this spring

fishinator

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2023, 08:02 AM »
In the past I used interstate batteries (3 total, 2 for trolling motor and 1 for cranking/electronics) Over the years I have had several go bad around 3 to 5 years. So I switched to house brand batteries from the local auto parts stores (autozone, oreillys ect) They cost less than half of what interstates do and last about as long.
  Whatever brand you go with, just make sure you keep them charged and you should be fine.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2023, 08:11 AM »
In the past I used interstate batteries (3 total, 2 for trolling motor and 1 for cranking/electronics) Over the years I have had several go bad around 3 to 5 years. So I switched to house brand batteries from the local auto parts stores (autozone, oreillys ect) They cost less than half of what interstates do and last about as long.
  Whatever brand you go with, just make sure you keep them charged and you should be fine.

Same reason I started using Duracell from Sam's club for my starting battery and the backup #2 battery.
For the trolling motor I use LiFePo4 batteries these days and will never use LA batteries again.
Eventually, they will evolve to provide higher cranking power and you will then be able to use them for a starting battery on your motor.

yellowned

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2023, 08:45 AM »
Is it ok to use the starting battery to start and also use for electronics. I have a interstate 24m-xhd?
Motor is a honda 90 and a lowrance hds live 9

gotagetm

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2023, 11:08 AM »
My starting battery is also my graph battery  and never had an issue..trolling motor batteries are separate

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2023, 11:27 AM »
My starting battery is also my graph battery  and never had an issue..trolling motor batteries are separate
Same here

fishinator

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2023, 11:56 AM »
Mine too. Running your finder off your cranking battery is no different than leaving your stereo playing in your car.

yellowned

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2023, 01:06 PM »
Was concerned because my cranking battery is a " starting battery " not a dual purpose or deep cycle

yellowned

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2023, 01:23 PM »
Thinking of getting a back-up 24m for my electronics , should I
go with a deep cycle or dual purpose ?

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2023, 04:06 PM »
Thinking of getting a back-up 24m for my electronics , should I
go with a deep cycle or dual purpose ?

Always a good idea.
I would go dual purpose, so you can use it to start the motor in an emergency.
Also, I would install a battery selector/isolation switch.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2023, 08:03 AM »
I seem to burn through them rather quickly, mostly due to my own stupidity so I just buy the least expensive lead acid batteries from Batteries Plus which have been Duracell the past few times. They've been as good as the Interstates. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2023, 09:46 AM »
I seem to burn through them rather quickly, mostly due to my own stupidity so I just buy the least expensive lead acid batteries from Batteries Plus which have been Duracell the past few times. They've been as good as the Interstates.

Hey Geoff.
Is it because they get drawn down?
Maybe between trips out?
Get the battery isolation switch...............and turn it to off after every trip.
But don't put anything to your battery (batteries) unless it goes through the switch.
Except your onboard charger - and make sure that is a good one with float technology.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.