FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Please don't discard your plastic baits into the lake  (Read 1216 times)

taxid

These were pulled from a lake trout stomach. If they break down at all it must be very slowly so the fish that consumes these is probably doomed to a slow death.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

Re: Please don't discard your plastic baits into the lake
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 11:18 AM »
A few years back, while walleye fishing on an Indiana reservoir, I caught a large yellow perch
that went into the live well.  Later, when I filleted the fish, I noticed that the meat was nearly lemon
yellow in color.  In fact, all of the internal organs were tainted yellow as well.  When I opened the
stomach, I found a 3 inch yellow twister tail that was minimally broken down. I saw no evidence
of a hook in the gut of the fish or the plastic bait.  We didn't eat that fish.

fishn on, It's crappie time!, fish off

rivereddy

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 09:12 PM »
I caught a brook trout once with cigarette butts in its stomach. (Same pond in my post above). Since most of the nicotine is in the butt of a cigarette I have to wonder how much nicotine made it into the trout's system and then mine if I ate it? Might explain a lot. :rotflol:

Edit: Just looked it up. That's not accurate. A typical cigarette contains 13 to 30 mg. of nicotine. There are 5 to 7 mg in the butt.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fish Farmer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 07:08 AM »
I always wonder how many of these discarded worms are because of "wacky" rigging....they almost always seem to be senko style worms pulled in half.

Johnnh

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 08:27 AM »
Nothing new with the cigarette filters in trout. I have fished multiple trout ponds in New Hampshire for many years. We always find filters in their stumachs and anal canals.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 10:38 AM »
Nothing new with the cigarette filters in trout. I have fished multiple trout ponds in New Hampshire for many years. We always find filters in their stumachs and anal canals.

Probably because they float and are similar in size to the floating pellets they are feed at the hatchery before planting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.