FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pizza on the grill  (Read 8441 times)

Hookset

Pizza on the grill
« on: Aug 05, 2005, 11:28 AM »
Many of you may already be aware of this pizza recipe, but I just tried it on my vacation and it worked very well.  Thought I'd share:

Parts list:

Two round aluminum pie tins
4 document clips(the kind that are clamp-like, not paper clips)
Pizza dough, pre-made or the instant kind out of a package
Sauce
Cheese
Oil
Your favorite toppings

The dilly:

Take two round pie tins(you know, those cheap aluminum-foil like deals) and generously oil one all the way up the sides.  Place in your dough, sauce, cheese and favorite toppings.  Take the second pie tin and place it on top of the first(so it creates a dutch-oven like scenario).  Place the document clips equi-distant around the edge of the tins so they stay together.  Place the whole deal on the grill(on med-high) or on a small fire/grate.  Rotate the pie twice or so during the cooking time.  It takes about 10 minutes to cook the pies to perfection(depending on the heat of your cooking utensil).  They flop right out of the pie tins and they were spectacular. Hope it works for you as well as it worked for me. Enjoy.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
Re: Pizza on the grill
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2005, 12:29 PM »
do you think this would work on a colman stove? i was thinking of making a few for icefishing the night before i go on the ice and then kooking them on my colman.
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Hookset

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2005, 04:11 PM »
It will probably work if you keep it on low.  I had the added benefit of using a grill, so I just closed the top to increase the heat.  They were really tasty.  Good luck.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

bayonne

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 07:13 PM »
try useing dutch ovens they work great a bed of coles under and a little on top

hunters08

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2006, 10:12 PM »
Many of you may already be aware of this pizza recipe, but I just tried it on my vacation and it worked very well.  Thought I'd share:

Parts list:

Sauce
Cheese
Oil
Your favorite toppings

The dilly:

Take two round pie tins(you know, those cheap aluminum-foil like deals) and generously oil one all the way up the sides.  Place in your dough, sauce, cheese and favorite toppings.  Take the second pie tin and place it on top of the first(so it creates a dutch-oven like scenario).  Place the document clips equi-distant around the edge of the tins so they stay together.  Place the whole deal on the grill(on med-high) or on a small fire/grate.  Rotate the pie twice or so during the cooking time.  It takes about 10 minutes to cook the pies to perfection(depending on the heat of your cooking utensil).  They flop right out of the pie tins and they were spectacular. Hope it works for you as well as it worked for me. Enjoy.
Man that worked so good!!thanks for the recipe
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

fishon10

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2007, 07:22 AM »
sounds great, I am going to give it a try next week!!

tughillmcd

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2007, 11:50 AM »

Parts list:

Sauce
Cheese
Oil
Your favorite toppings

The dilly:

Another way to make them is with bagels for the crust and wrap them in foil, leaving some room above them to act like an oven. Takes about the same time and nothing needs refrigeration, which is great for back woods camping. That way everyone gets to make their own mix of toppings. A little sauce, pepperoni, onion, dehydrated mushrooms (rehydrated before use) and mozerella. then sprinkle with garlic crystals, wrap in foil and 10 min later pizza by the fire. Even better if you managed to fit a couple beers in the backpack to go with em! Another good thing is virtually no clean up. The kids really love to make their own too.

After a day fishing brook trout 10 miles into the Adirondacks you would think you were eating a fresh pizza from your favorite pizza parlor. But it's tough to get them to deliver.

sperrin

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I've came to the conclusion that anything can pretty much be cooked on the fire or BBQ.... we cook almost all our meals over the fire pit when we go camping and BBQ everything when were at home....something about it always makes it taste better then when its done on the stove...even if its a bit darker...haha

Happy grillin'
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2008, 07:16 AM »
Another way to cook pizza is by steaming it the recipe you mentioned would probally work but instead of a cover place it in a turkey cooking bag and than take a large pot and put 3-4 inches of water in the bottom than place small soda cans or rocks in the bottom and place the pizza on top put the cover on and cook for 40-50 minutes and you get a good moist but not to moist pizza bread can be cooked the same ways I will try to find my recipies for these to and post them latter (recipies are courtesy of Boyscout troop 698)

bearsfan

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2008, 09:32 AM »
We recently ran out of propane and I proceeded to buy a D'giorno and my wife asked " so how do you intend on baking that?" I thought for a moment, "I'll grill it!" She shook her head and walked away. Turn out to be the best pizza we have had in a while.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Another way to cook pizza on the grill or camp fire is to take freash dough and beat it out to any shape and size you like, use a good bit of oil on both sides and lay it on the grate or grill, leave for 3 mintues or so, turn slightly to get the cross hatch marks, then turn it over and do the same to the other side, remove the curst from the grate/grill then put on your sauce, toppings and cheese and put it back on the grate/grill, if using a camp fire place tinfoil over the top, if on the BBQ shut the lid, try not to keep directly on heat if possible....this gives you a nice crunchy crust, as well as ensures it is cooked all the way through, the oil gives it a more buttery taste as well, i like to go low key on this, a few basil leaves and sauce and cheese, b ut add as much as you like

bearsfan

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 09:23 PM »
MMmm that sounds really good, we're going to try that and I'll let you know how it comes out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.