FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp Boilies  (Read 7889 times)

crappiemaster

Carp Boilies
« on: Aug 22, 2005, 02:53 PM »
Just wondering if anyone uses carp boilies.  If you do please post your recipe.

Thanks
OH NO!! I'm hoooked on fishing crappies!!:)

fishingonly2002

• hhmm I think I just felt a little thump.....
Re: Carp Boilies
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2006, 02:50 PM »
Yeah, carp boiles are great when fishing areas with current or other little fish that try to peck your bait off.

-1/2 cup cornmeal
-1/2 cup flour
-jello packet ( the powder stuff in the little blue boc, I use cherry )
- add fruit drink/ soda untill a thik consistancy such as clay is formed.

form into desired size, boil for about a minute.

~Neal
hey dad..... do alligators eat kayaks?

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2006, 03:06 PM »
why do you use soda or fruit drink instead of water
OR      [IMG]

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2006, 03:41 PM »
I think that is to add flavoring. I know some like to use cherry or strawberry flavored drinks in their mixture.
Ken A.

buzzbomb

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Take a peek at carpanglersgroup.com forums and look at the bait recipes pinned in the bait section.  There's more boilie recipes than you want to read.  I'm throwing everything from brewer's yeast to msg and beyond in mine and still trying to find something that'll make them bite when they don't want to.  Corn flour, corn meal, wheat flour, eggs, oil and some kind of flavouring (not necessary but nice) are the basics of most recipes.  Eggs are the binder that make them hard when air dried. Two or three days on a screen. shifted once or twice so they dry evenly will make them rock hard so they last an hour or two in the water (commercial boilies are so hard they last for a day or more).  The carp can crush them with their pharangyal teeth just like they crush clams and mussels.   A carrier like vanilla extract (alcohol based) or milk powder, coconut milk, evaporated milk, will help get the attractants out into the water as the boilie breaks down.  After boiling I poke holes through them with a toothpick so I don't need a boilie drill to get them on the hair.  Carp can sense the protein in your bait and move in on it.... they're not nearly as fussy as English or European carp so even a modest first effort can catch fish.  When our season first opens I have to use crawlers but after they've been baited with prepared groundbait a few times they come to boilies readily.

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2006, 10:51 AM »
They just had a superb article on these carp boilies in this past month's In-Fisherman.  Supposedly they are the "best" carp bait hands down so much so, that it's making me want to give some carp fishing a try sometime soon.  Maybe next year when I have more time :P
i don't get that mag if you could post recipe that would be much appreciated
OR      [IMG]

buzzbomb

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2006, 11:30 AM »
   Supposedly they are the "best" carp bait hands down 

There are probably many more carp caught in the U.S. on canned corn, worms, or doughballs than boilies.  One of the main reasons carpers use them is to try to weed out smaller ones but just how effective that is is up for debate.  A 3 pound carp can scarf up a boilie the size of a shooter marble so watercraft and baiting strategy come into play as much as the bait itself.  In England where the hair rig originated they fish in little strictly controlled lakes where the same fish have been getting caught (or not) for generations and they are wayyy cagier than the carp here.  The anglers there have to bait with pounds and pounds of boilies and other freebies and they sometimes have other anglers baiting mere yards from them so there's pressure we can't imagine.  The hair rig with corn on the hair is a deadly effective method of catching and sometimes will outfish a rod with a boilie on right next to it.  I like making and using boiles because it allows me to bring a half dozen different types of bait in an easy to rig method.  Look up the 'method' method of fishing, using an inline cage to hold a disintegrating baitmix near your hookbait.  This has been very productive for many anglers and the cages, or 'method feeders' are available from U.S. carp tackle suppliers or easily jury rigged out of hair curlers.  Season starts May 6  ;D.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2006, 05:38 PM »
Ahhhh Carp...one of my favorite gamefish.

I chum an area with my own mixture and then use a hair rig with corn.

My chum mix:
2 c. All Bran cereal
1/2 c. powdered milk
1/2 c.maple syrup
1/2 can creamed corn
1 c. rabbit food (alfalfa pellets)
1/2 c. salted minnows (ground )
1 c. yellow corn meal

Mix together in a large bowl adding enough water to bind. Make golf ball sized pieces, freeze in plastic baggies to store. Toss the chum upstream from your selected fishing spot.

I think I've already posted instructions and pictures of the hair rig. I'll try to find it.

Tip: add a small piece of Styrofoam to the "hair" before threading on the corn kernels.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Carpking

• lunker
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Just wondering if anyone uses carp boilies.  If you do please post your recipe.

Thanks
I've used boiles, powerbait strawberry flavored, and of course corn, doughballs, bread. in NY where i am corn seems to be the bait of choice, I've had it outfish all the others, even when fished side by side. i think corn is preferred here is because its used so often the carp are so used to it, and just pick it up out of habit, ever watch then gobble up chummed corn, you'll see what i mean. that strawberry powerbait is useless as far as i can tell, haven't had a carp touch it yet, anyone else tried it? Well have to tell ya I'm getting exited, almost time to hit the river for coppersides, any one fish for them this early? i wish i knew how to post pics on here, have some lunkers to share?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.