FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Re: What about muskie?  (Read 9622 times)

jyoung

Re: What about muskie?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:23 PM »
Big is probably over 40 inches, Small is under 40"
Jeff
Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

Powerworm

• There's One!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:36 PM »
The one I'm holding in the picture went 39 1/4".  It might be small to some, but look at the smile on my face. ;D

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2004, 07:18 AM »
Hey Powerworm, I think most people would call that a big fish!  ;)

Your first 36 incher seems big until you start landing them over 40. It's all good!

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2004, 07:22 PM »
I flat out love to fish for them. Size of a "big one" depends on the body of water fished and what works on one body may not apply to another. For  example. In the 1000 islands, where we have the Great Lakes species, they have to be 44 inches to keep ( I release). This way a fish kept for mounting will be 25 lbs or more. 55 inches is my biggest with a 26 inch girth. Estimate 50 lbs or more. I caught numerous that we weighed at up to 48 lbs and she was by far the biggest. A couple of quick measurements and photo's and she swam away to spawn again or give another angler a thrill. Most but  not all are caught from 25 to 60 feet so an appropriate lure is used. At Conesus I burn a bucktail spinnerbait over and along weedbeds/edges for the Tigers and 36" is a good fish. Nothing beats the rise of a fish on a surface jerk bait though. At night or daybreak, I've had 'em come up and hit while jerking a bait over 40 feet of water. Hope to fish some new areas this year. They all are special. Please release when possible.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

suskymusky

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2004, 07:52 AM »
To me a 50"er is big, but just connecting with a hammerhandle or having a follow makes me happy.It lets me know that I'm doing something right.I only kept my first legal one, and that was 44" and 20 lbs.If I knew it would cost $400 to get mounted, i would have put it back.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

reubenpa

« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2004, 04:27 PM »
where do u get the muskies Wny angler?
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:24 AM »
Hey fastribs85. go to www.freshwaterfishinghalloffame.com. there are many links to get you going on musky. just for your information, the world record musky was caught in Wisconsin in 1949. it weighed 69 lbs. 11 oz. and was 63 1/2 " long. you sure you want to fish for musky. haha. oh yea it's girth was 31 1/4 ."

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

MikeMo

• chasing water wolves
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:15 PM »
I wish they werw a neusance where i live  ;D

reubenpa

« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:24 PM »
i get e,m at conesus lake in livingston cnty-newyork

every time i go there for pike using 8 t0 10 inch chubs wich are pretty exspensive around here--those dam tiger musky and lrg mth bass grab my bait before the pike can.
OK, I got my biggest pike ever there(I have only gotten 2) this year.   32.5 inches.  Got it March 4 I think.  You get them on north end or south en?  Boat? shore?  I would love to hook a few for the fight!!  where do you get your 8-10 inch baits?

wny angler

« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:55 PM »
i get e,m at conesus lake in livingston cnty-newyork

every time i go there for pike using 8 t0 10 inch chubs wich are pretty exspensive around here--those dam tiger musky and lrg mth bass grab my bait before the pike can.
OK, I got my biggest pike ever there(I have only gotten 2) this year.   32.5 inches.  Got it March 4 I think.  You get them on north end or south en?  Boat? shore?  I would love to hook a few for the fight!!  where do you get your 8-10 inch baits?
i fish from a small boat on the northern end of the lake (west side) can't say exactly where.i get my big chubs at bait shop in bflo area.they do put up a great fight leaping 4+ feet out of the water when you hook e'm.i fish for e'm mid may till end of june.some days i'll see them all over the place swimming near the surface with their snouts sticking out of the water-

we got this 38 incher a few years ago -my sons first tiger he hooked and landed it all by himself-only one we ever kept

reubenpa

« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2004, 09:11 PM »
Do they bite at all around the first of may?  I don't have a boat but my in-laws from PA do and they are coming the first weekend of May I think, looking for a place to get some big ones... the biggest fish anybody in that family has gotten was a 22 inch Pike from northern canada somewhere lst summer.......   :o :o

chrisfrank

« Reply #26 on: Apr 04, 2004, 08:45 PM »
Never caught a big toothy fish like that.  How do you go about landing them?  Most of the fish i catch i can lip or hold with one hand.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.