FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What line should I buy?  (Read 6374 times)

RedWolfUSAF

What line should I buy?
« on: Mar 28, 2006, 03:19 PM »
I saw some Eagle Claw premium on sale at Dick's...1000 yds of 4 lb test for $6.  Why not I said to myself...spool it up, how bad can it be?  IT SUCKS!  So now I'm in search of some different lines.  The tried and true Trilene XL has been on my reels for years but I see so many other choices. 

Bank fishing for panfish, drifting bottom bouncers for walleyes, watching bobbers with suckers under them for pike, and jigging for bass are what I mostly spend time doing.

What are some of your favorite lines?

devil-man

Re: What line should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2006, 06:43 PM »
My favorite is P-Line Floroclear. The stuff is amazing!
It is mono with a fluorocarbon coating to make it less visible. It casts well and doesn't have a lot of memory which so many fluoro products have. It is spendy, but I don't buy anything else. That's right- I even use it for ice-fishing.
 :bowdown:

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2006, 06:27 PM »
Through some trial and error, I spooled my baitcaster with 20lb Spiderwire Stealth in 20lb test.....(6lb diameter)....I use it mainly for walleye....but don't hesitate it for heading out for the big brute channel cats on the Red...its tough...extremely abrasion resistant....and lasts the season...and the nice thing is this line is teflon coated...zero memory and one of the best braided lines that wont chew up your rod guides or reel spool....not cheap but worth the money....Grump

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2006, 07:28 PM »
You betcha, Spiderwire Stealth has become my favorite too. I am a reformed Power Pro guy. Power Pro flattens out like a ribbon, and all of that waxy stuff comes off and gets all over everything. Spiderwire Stealth holds its shape and color way better, and it lasts twice as long. A word of warning though, if you have never used superlines. It has ZERO stretch, lighten up your hooksets.

Fishingking

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2006, 09:38 PM »
I like Power pro its a bit softer than the other braids I have used its tough and the diameter is smaller then the rated lb test. IT last for more that one season I have some stuff that is going on 4 yrs old and still works great :)  like all otehr lines its a bit pricey. Sometimes I fish it straight other times I use a floro leader. Just remember with braids theres no stretch so loosen your drag up when using a mono leader. Fist few bigger fish I caught on braid w/ mono leader I snapped the fish as soon as I set the hook because of the no stretch.

Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Line choices are very simple. If you are going to buy braid remember this, power pro for casting reels, fireline for spinning reels. As for mono, either Trilene XL or XT will NEVER fail you.

Pikeguy

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2006, 02:07 PM »
I'm a big fan of Berkely Trilene XT. I use fireline on my baitcasters. I tried power pro last year and just really didn't like it as much. Still a good line. Fireline is my choice but that's just my .02.

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2006, 03:33 PM »
Trilene.
I can see the advantages of (P)florocarbon, but I'm not spending that much on line I catch enough fish as it is.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Im not going to rhyme off my preferences here because most of them are listed above...Instead I have advice...Try them all

Over the last few season I have been trying a few different brands of line in different situations....I keep my fav rod strung up the way I like it, but other rods I keep trying lines that have been recommended on this site. Sure you may be happy with the first line you throw on, but how do you know until you have tried it against a few other brand or types.

believe me...once you start trying a few..One will stand out for you. But never stop learning, each year technology changes and so do the lines, so try a new line.

devil-man

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2006, 08:04 PM »
believe me...once you start trying a few..One will stand out for you. But never stop learning, each year technology changes and so do the lines, so try a new line.

Listen to the Junky. Good advice!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2006, 06:01 PM »
Well said bassjunky. Sometimes line can perform differently for certain people, due to their gear and fishing style.

Yankee Troller

• Fishing Lake Ontario for Salmon & Trout
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2006, 01:37 PM »
If you guys want to try something really strong, McCoy Mean Green ROCKS!  I have been using it for years now and I cant seem to find a way for it to disapoint me.  I have it spoled on all my Bass tournament rods, and soon to be on my trolling rods. 

If you guys are interested in trying some and your local tackle shops dont carry it shoot me a PM with thier info and they can get it through me.  Im located in the Rochester, NY area but wont discourage any NY tackle shop from contacting me.

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2006, 01:58 PM »
p-line all the way

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2006, 03:05 PM »
If you guys want to try something really strong, McCoy Mean Green ROCKS!

Yes it does.  It is SO smooth, with almost no memory.  Its just that its a real pain in the butt to get in stores around here.

Yankee Troller

• Fishing Lake Ontario for Salmon & Trout
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2006, 03:05 PM »
P-Line is a great line, but if you get the littlest kink in it SNAP!  We found that out the hard way fishing for SM on Erie.  Those zebra musscles tore it up fast.  Other than that it is a great line.  I would rather not take that chance though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.