FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Starfire Rods - 14.99 FYI  (Read 3015 times)

Turnbuckle

Starfire Rods - 14.99 FYI
« on: Jun 13, 2018, 07:13 AM »
https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product/eagle-claw-starfire/

8.6 sold out, but have good deals on reels too now.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

JDK

Re: Starfire Rods - 14.99 FYI
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2018, 08:00 AM »
IF the action hasn't changed, I like the 7'6" Starfire with inlines or on downriggers for togue.
# SAND

Turnbuckle

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2018, 08:11 AM »
IF the action hasn't changed, I like the 7'6" Starfire with inlines or on downriggers for togue.

Thoughts on the 7 6 as a lead rod? Too soft maybe?

Frig it, I ordered a pair before they sell out. My newish Okuma rigger rods are fairly stiff compared to my older spin combos. Worst case I swap these out and use on the riggers and my Okumas on lead.

Now the big question, as I’m moving from the multiplier lead reels, what’s the recommendation on a cheap lead reel.

Cabelas depthmaster, Okuma, penn 209s?
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

JDK

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2018, 08:47 AM »
I can't see where they won't work but like the 8'6" for lead.  Spread things out better.  I use Penn 209s for leadcore but they are older 209s.

# SAND

Turnbuckle

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Depthmaster III reals at Cabela’s are 39.99 - $10 off. FYI

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2018, 10:21 AM »
i use okumas and 209's.  like has been said, you want old new in box 209's, lots of talk about the new ones being junk. i bought the okuma for copper line and they upgraded the drag before mailing it out.  for lead and downrigger fishing i would rather spread the money out with a couple older 209  setups

gamefisher

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2018, 11:05 AM »

Frig it, I ordered a pair before they sell out. My newish Okuma rigger rods are fairly stiff compared to my older spin combos. Worst case I swap these out and use on the riggers and my Okumas on lead.

Now the big question, as I’m moving from the multiplier lead reels, what’s the recommendation on a cheap lead reel.

Good price Jeremy.  Many years ago I started with 7'6" for my lead core, didn't like, and got some 8'6" which I much prefer, probably 20 years old now.  Have many , many miles on them and still holding strong, 407A's.  I have a 209 with lead but prefer my shimano triton 200's, noticeably quicker retrieve.

My downrigger rods are the old 8' starfires that were rated 4-8#, 400's.  Can only find vintage now.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Good price Jeremy.  Many years ago I started with 7'6" for my lead core, didn't like, and got some 8'6" which I much prefer, probably 20 years old now.  Have many , many miles on them and still holding strong.  I have a 209 with lead but prefer my shimano triton 200's, noticeably quicker retrieve.

My downrigger rods are the old 8' starfires that were rated 4-8#, not sure the model number or even if you can get anymore.

For what may seem like a foolish reason, I’m trying to go with all under 8ft rods. As a fish/ski boat I could use a rod 6 different times in a day and when it’s not in the water it’s in storage. Try to keep the rods from breaking and kids from being hooked. That said, my rod locker won’t hold 8’6” rods without breaking them down which over the course of a day sorta sucks. First world problems I know.....

JDK

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:20 PM »
I took my father togue fishing Monday morning.  We used a 7'6 Starfire and a 8'3 Ugly stick on riggers.  He mentioned he liked the Starfire better overall (with a Shimano Trition 100).  It had more oooommmmpppphhh than the US.  I cannot imagine that they won't work for your application...... but I don't know how your boat is set up.  You may need to be watchful of leadcore rods located in front of downriggers and rubbing on line. 
# SAND

Turnbuckle

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:30 PM »
I took my father togue fishing Monday morning.  We used a 7'6 Starfire and a 8'3 Ugly stick on riggers.  He mentioned he liked the Starfire better overall (with a Shimano Trition 100).  It had more oooommmmpppphhh than the US.  I cannot imagine that they won't work for your application...... but I don't know how your boat is set up.  You may need to be watchful of leadcore rods located in front of downriggers and rubbing on line.

I don’t believe it will be an issue using the 7’6” for the leadcore from a spacing/clearance issue here. Obviously having a greater spread in general is ideal, but I think this will be ok. If it’s not, I have 8’6” Cabelas Rods here I can swap back to, etc.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:41 PM »
The best lead reel I have used is the Penn Warfare. 28" of line per crank. I have both a 20 and a 15 size and they are fantastic lead reels.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:51 PM »
The best lead reel I have used is the Penn Warfare. 28" of line per crank. I have both a 20 and a 15 size and they are fantastic lead reels.

But then I’ll have to drink Miller lite the next two weeks to afford those fancy things...

How many colors get on the 15?

Slammin_Brookies!!

• "Speed and Accuracy" Airborne All The Way 82nd
« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2018, 07:36 PM »

I just picked up a new Starfire 7'6" 2 weeks ago at Dags....put 10 colors of the New Suffix 832 Advance. No issues....got some good togue last weekend on it at 7 colors. That Advance is great....i put 10 colors on a Quest 2 reel with my L.L Bean fly rod and that actually works great....the 12lb line has impressed me.
If you're too busy to fish...........You're too Fa..king busy!

Turnbuckle

« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2018, 07:04 AM »
Rods will be here tomorrow. Had a 10 off coupon and was going to get a depthmaster reel for 30, but they were out in the store. Literally no stock of most models. Guy told me to order one, which I did, then found it was backordered this morning. FYI if anyone was going to order one.

JDK

« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2018, 08:21 AM »
My brother stopped late last week on the way up and said they had nothing.  Many bare shelves and the Bargain Cave was empty. 
# SAND

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.