FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Getting paid to fish!!  (Read 3713 times)

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
Getting paid to fish!!
« on: May 10, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Saw this on my home page and found it interesting, thought I would share to see what comments arise!!

Bounty Fishing Helping Save Salmon

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
CHINOOK LANDING, Ore. - On his first cast of the season, Jim Walker pitched a lure resembling a baby salmon into the dark green waters of the Columbia River and - BAM! - hooked a 24-inch fish with a $4 bounty on its head.

But alas, "we didn't hook another one all day," the 73-year-old retiree said.

It may not always be easy, but fishermen who can fill their coolers can also fill their pockets - some getting nearly $40,000 - for helping to control the most voracious predator of baby salmon in the Columbia Basin, the northern pikeminnow.

To help make up for the harm done to salmon by the government's hydroelectric dams in Washington, Oregon and Idaho, the Bonneville Power Administration is paying a bounty of $4 to $8 for each northern pikeminnow caught, as long as it is at least nine inches long.

There are also more than 1,000 specially tagged bonus fish worth $500 each scattered through the 450 miles of the lower Columbia and Snake rivers to attract more fishermen and help biologists gauge the effect of the bounties.

Fishermen have to turn in the pikeminnows to claim the bounty. The fish are then ground up into fertilizer. (An attempt a few years ago to turn them into fish sticks in Chicago proved a failure. Pikeminnows are not good eating; they are bony and the flesh is mushy and has little flavor.)

Over the years, federal, state and local governments have offered bounties on such creatures as coyotes, gophers, crows, skunks and swamp rats known as nutria. But this is believed to be the only federal bounty now being offered for fish.

Folks who really work at it, 12 to 18 hours a day and seven days a week, can gross $20,000 during the May-to-October season. Two of the 1,800 people who collected bounties last year got paid close to $40,000 each.

"It does take a lot of work, and it does take some knowledge to really catch them consistently," said Tim Caldwell, 46, who was 10th on the money list with $19,084 for 2,425 fish, two of them bonus fish. "I'm after it for the money."

Caldwell has been bounty fishing since the program started in 1991, full-time since he sold his gas station and tackle shop three years ago. His best day was 141 fish, but when he got home he was as tired as he has ever been in his life, having gotten up at 2 a.m. and fished until 10 p.m.

"For some people this gets pretty competitive," he said. "There's been problems with people where they want to fight over spots to fish. I mean bad enough to get the police involved. I've actually had my life threatened."

The "sport reward fishery" - the folks running the program do not like the term "bounty" - brought in 241,000 northern pikeminnows last year.

"A bounty is when you are trying to exterminate a species," said Russell Porter, spokesman for the Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission, which coordinates the program for the BPA. "We're not trying to do that. We're trying to restructure it."

The dams slow down the river and bunch up the salmon, giving the pikeminnows a better shot at dinner. Also, the young salmon that go through the dams' turbines or over the spillways are sometimes stunned, making them easier prey.

Researchers found that of all the big fish eating little salmon as they migrate to the ocean, the northern pikeminnow was the champ, far out-gobbling smallmouth bass and walleye. A big pikeminnow - they max out about 25 inches - will eat a half-dozen baby salmon a day.

Now the BPA spends $3.8 million a year keeping them in check.

That has not been enough to keep 14 populations of Columbia Basin salmon and steelhead off the threatened and endangered species lists, but it helps.

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist Tom Friesen figures bounty fishing has reduced the number of salmon gobbled up by pikeminnow by 22 percent. That translates to about 3.8 million more baby salmon per year.

A 2004 economic impact report prepared for the Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission estimates the extra fish generate $2.7 million to $9.9 million and 446 jobs from Alaska to California.

Here is a pic of one...
http://www.huntingandfishingjournal.org/images/big_pic_northern_pikeminnow.jpg

Fishingking

Re: Getting paid to fish!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 10:50 PM »
Thats pretty interesting
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

PerchandPans

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:56 PM »
I was hoping someone would post that article as i am not computer savvy enough to figure that out yet . Maybe some of the slab panfish sellers in New York  will come out here  and give the pannies a rest . Certainly sounds like  they pay better than most employers .

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 05:35 AM »
sounds like a tough way to make a living   :D 
Scotty 

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 08:13 AM »
We have lots of them up here in BC. Wish there was a bounty on them. Last year at local derby my son & I caught just under 500 in 4 hrs. We be millionaires in a few months ;D
Very voracious fish and hardy. Up here in the winter, the flesh firms up and they are not too bad canned. They were called "squawfish" a couple years ago in BC.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 08:17 AM »
Makes losing a fish much more painful?
Sounds like the old west!!
Internet heros give it a rest!

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Looks like I'll have to see how far my friends house in Oregon is from wherethese fish are. Might have to get paid to take a vacation.  ;D
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

OTIS

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 12:41 PM »
I seen this article today also.  Are they talking about immature northern pike, or is the northern pikeminnow a different species?  The fish in the picture they had with the article didn't look like northern pike at all.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 01:02 PM »
I seen this article today also.  Are they talking about immature northern pike, or is the northern pikeminnow a different species?  The fish in the picture they had with the article didn't look like northern pike at all.

It's a different fish.  http://www.thejump.net/id/northern-pikeminnow.htm
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

bluefinforme

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 01:15 PM »
getting paid to fish????.......are you serious ;D

must be nice  ::)

OTIS

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 01:22 PM »
Thanks for the clearing that up for me.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 07:32 PM »
Ok the part that confuses me....they mention 1000 tagged fish...if these fish are so harmfull why in hell would they release 1000 fish back into the water

Thats the government for ya....release 1000 harmful fish back into the system so you can pay someone a few hundred bucks to remove them again...... :cookoo:

Left Handed Model

• I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 07:47 PM »
the tagging information will provide vital information on migration patterns and fish behavior, so they can as they said restructure it.   It's not a bad idea for every State Organization to hire a few fisherman to catch fish in certain problem lakes.  Maybe it would help learn more on how to limit damage from invasive species or control booming populations in a lake.  All this knowledge is gained by spending a few bucks..  I'm for it if it means I can fish on clean waters and pick my spots by what I want to fish for... JMO... ;D
Mike aka: Lefty, the Yellow Pole Guy..GO TEAM MAINE!!
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you"

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 07:55 PM »
That sounds like a good idea to get rid of the gobies in lake ontario.  Maybe a .20 reward for each goby.   

With all of the guys fishing for them and the bass and the perch eating the rest of them, it should pretty much take care of them.   :) ;)

the smallmouth cant do all the work.   

taxid

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 08:09 AM »
getting paid to fish????.......are you serious ;D

must be nice  ::)

I've done it before (allowed to fish during creel survey if there were no anglers or I was in between my rounds) and I do it now (I harvest fish primarily by hook and line I sell out of my private ponds to other taxidermists.  :P :P :P

Here's some of fish I've taken out of my ponds:

http://www.ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

Only problem is harvesting the larger bass is getting to be more difficult! Used to be I could go down to the dock and sight fish for the one I want with a chunk of nitecrawler at feeding time. Now when I go out to the dock and I have a pole in hand they scatter. If I go out there without the pole they wait to be fed. I now have a shocker apparatus, which I have to build a boom for on the boat, that will take care of that problem.  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.