FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 341329 times)

62 & Done

Re: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #3180 on: Apr 24, 2024, 11:02 AM »
As much fun as they are to hunt, I had to give up on turkeys.  No amount of bug repellant and/or clothing treatment in the world is enough to keep those Darned ticks at bay. I just can't stand them anymore. I've already had one buried on me this spring by just doing some yard work. Best of luck to all those who go and hunt safe.

jperch

« Reply #3181 on: Apr 24, 2024, 05:45 PM »
don't shoot turkeys anymore but we still love calling them .... ^5  to the young hunters that got birds and those that tried .....i found sheds in the past none this year  i think thats cool finding them
Trapper, I'm just curious, why did you stop shooting turkeys?  Do you not care for eating them?

62 & Done

« Reply #3182 on: Apr 24, 2024, 06:15 PM »
Turkeys are much more fun to hunt than eat. Just my 2 cents.

reeleyz

« Reply #3183 on: Today at 05:32 AM »
Nice haul Mcully!

I made a smoked wild turkey chili the other day and it was good.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3184 on: Today at 06:35 AM »
Trapper, I'm just curious, why did you stop shooting turkeys?  Do you not care for eating them?

i don't care for eatting them and  i have no one to give them too ...i like calling them just no reason to shoot one lol but i wish you all luck!!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

jperch

« Reply #3185 on: Today at 07:14 AM »
i don't care for eatting them and  i have no one to give them too ...i like calling them just no reason to shoot one lol but i wish you all luck!!!
I understand.  I have learned not to cook the whole bird at once, otherwise I end up with too much left over, dried out turkey.  And I can clean one almost as quickly as a "slime log".  My GF has some wonderful recipes.  But I agree, the hunting is the most fun part!

reeleyz

« Reply #3186 on: Today at 08:30 AM »
I understand.  I have learned not to cook the whole bird at once, otherwise I end up with too much left over, dried out turkey.  And I can clean one almost as quickly as a "slime log".  My GF has some wonderful recipes.  But I agree, the hunting is the most fun part!

I was listening to a meateater podcast about cooking wild turkey. The biggest mistake people made was cooking it whole.

krispcritter

« Reply #3187 on: Today at 08:53 AM »
I was listening to a meateater podcast about cooking wild turkey. The biggest mistake people made was cooking it whole.

That's nonsense. I've cooked every wild bird I've gotten whole, skin on. Never had dry meat. Never brined one either unless I was doing a smoked bird. Most people over cook them.  It's not a domestic bird from the store, they don't have to be taken to the same internal temp as a domestic bird.
To make small fortune in business, start with a large one.

reeleyz

« Reply #3188 on: Today at 11:55 AM »
That's nonsense. I've cooked every wild bird I've gotten whole, skin on. Never had dry meat. Never brined one either unless I was doing a smoked bird. Most people over cook them.  It's not a domestic bird from the store, they don't have to be taken to the same internal temp as a domestic bird.

It sounds like you've got it dialed. I don't think their reasoning for not cooking the bird whole had anything to do with the bird being dry. I have never tried cooking one whole myself.

Personally I break a bird down into 4 packages and keep the legs, thighs, wings, neck, and breasts. Then I can use it throughout the year and cook it different ways.

trapper2000

« Reply #3189 on: Today at 11:56 AM »
only way i ever  enjoyed them at all was cut up in chunks and deep fried ....me personally i'm not going to shoot a  nice bird for some chicken nuggets ....  i have tried them every way under the sun and  been hunting them many years .... i just don't care for them ....give me a pheasant ,i know theres  a lot of expert chefs that can cook them perfect and every mouth waters and screams for more ,God bless you i can't and tired of wasting good birds trying  ......  how ever i really like calling them in and watching a tom strut ...... i hope the rest of you guys do great fill them tags and enjoy dinner ,side note i like eatting trout and most guys think they suck

trapper2000

« Reply #3190 on: Today at 11:57 AM »
oh i did have turkey soup and that was good

mcully

« Reply #3191 on: Today at 12:13 PM »
kabobs about best I've had them

We have so many coyotes they hardly gobble anymore so not much fun chasing them. Grandson and I were out looking for sheds for 4 hours Sunday and never heard one but saw half a dozen.

trapper2000

« Reply #3192 on: Today at 01:17 PM »
i haven't seen where coyotes get many but the fisher pound on them pretty good they go up trees and get them roosting

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.