FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Best Options after Ice-Out?  (Read 830 times)

Thor

Best Options after Ice-Out?
« on: Mar 10, 2010, 02:31 PM »
Less than a year ago, I purchased my first boat.  It's a well-used V-14 utility - nothing fancy.  I would like to step up my game and do something more than wait around for the PFBC stocking truck to pull up with a load of nine-inch, finless wonders.

What are some of my better options within a two hour drive of Schuylkill County (east central PA)?  I'm thinking about chasing after some ice-out crappies, walleyes, etc., but I don't have much experience fishing for anything other than trout, except through the ice, when I normally fish for anything but trout.

Would this boat be suitable for fishing eastern PA rivers (Delaware, Susky, Lehigh, Schuylkill, etc.)?

Any ideas, locations, tips, suggestions, are appreciated.

Thanks

boerboel

Re: Best Options after Ice-Out?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2010, 10:50 AM »
The boat will be suitable for all of those rivers - at least in most stretches.  Obviously, you will need a gas outboard to fish any of the rivers except in dammed sections.  If you are looking to fish rivers, you are more likely to find walleye than crappie unless you are above a dam.  I have tried walleye fishing on the susquehanna a few times but don't have a lot of experience with that.  You can catch crappie at just about any lake but most won't allow a gas engine.

More specifically, there are decent stretches of the schuylkill river you can fish that are in your county.  I have done some early season fishnig at auburn dam in schuylkill county.  It is mostly a bass water but there are supposed to be crappies in there too.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.