FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Night Crawlers  (Read 7608 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Night Crawlers
« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2020, 06:52 PM »
One woodchuck to another I guess Mac.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bbfrogger

« Reply #31 on: Mar 23, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Hey you woodchucks - stop chuckin' my wood !!!!!!!!  Those commercials kill me ....

Old Timer

« Reply #32 on: Mar 23, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Many years back I had trouble keeping crawlers alive when it go hot. An ond fisherman told me to get a big crock, bury it in the shade to within 4 inches of ground level and fill it with chopped leaves. Put a board over it with a big rock on top.  I located a 20 gal crock for my worm bed and have never had a worm die since.  I have a smaller box i put them in for a week after picking and then sort out the bruised ones and put the rest in the crock.

bbfrogger

« Reply #33 on: Mar 23, 2020, 05:17 PM »
Sounds like a good method.  I use one of the bigger Omaha Steak styrofoam containers and put a couple inches of compost in the bottom then pack it with old damp leaves and put some wet newspapers on top.  I also cut about a 3" circle in the top and cover it with a fine mesh to let air in and out but not let them crawl out.  I feed them my wife's coffee grounds 3 times a week and keep them in my basement.  They keep all summer but I have to put a few loads of leaves in over the summer. They're really active, probably because of the caffeine.   ;D  My grandfather used to pour small amounts of gas down the worm holes and that really made them boil up.  i would imagine it killed a lot of the grass and made the soil at least temporarily toxic too but it was 20 some cents a gallon back then.  He washed them off and they seemed as good as new.  hahaha

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: Mar 23, 2020, 05:37 PM »
My gramps had an old tub sunk in the ground  .  We always caught them and put them in there. But his favorite was always dug garden worms..
 Pretty sure it was just his way of getting us to turn over his garden so we could go fishing... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Badbrad2186

« Reply #35 on: Mar 23, 2020, 06:11 PM »
My gramps had an old tub sunk in the ground  .  We always caught them and put them in there. But his favorite was always dug garden worms..
 Pretty sure it was just his way of getting us to turn over his garden so we could go fishing... ;D

Hahaha the old trick of let's dig for worms in my garden and get the grandkids to do it soni don't have to my gramps was the same way when I was a kid

Old Timer

« Reply #36 on: Mar 23, 2020, 06:50 PM »
If you want the crawlers dark, feed them coffee grounds. If you want them white/pink, feed them oat meal.
When I was 12 to 15 years old  my dad made 3 wooden boxes. 3x6ft x 18 inches high. The house we lived in had a cold, damp,dark basement. Filled them with old leaves and chunks of corrugated cardboard. I put 1000 in each box.  We fed them once a week, alternating ends. Dad said you have to exercise them to keep them healthy. Come the hot, dry days of July I would take 200 at a time,as he needed, to Moses Poppleton, the bait guy in the beach. He gave me a penny each and sold them 15 for 25 cents.  Seems I remember gas being 7 gal for a dollar.  Oh, the good old days. 

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 23, 2020, 07:03 PM »
old  timer  my dad had  me feed  them  coffee  grounds too
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: Mar 24, 2020, 08:34 PM »
I like Zappa.

Mac Attack

« Reply #39 on: Mar 24, 2020, 09:14 PM »

bbfrogger

« Reply #40 on: Mar 28, 2020, 08:47 PM »
Finally got out tonight and got 100+ ..... pretty squishy out there - my back said 50 would have been just fine !!   ;D

bbfrogger

« Reply #41 on: Mar 30, 2020, 10:33 AM »
Got another 160 last night but tonight might be the night to end all nights if the rain stops in time.  1 more pick and I should be done for the year.

UglyStik

« Reply #42 on: Mar 31, 2020, 09:41 PM »
Grabbed @ 2 dozen, twenty feet from the door. Doesn't get any easier. Good luck tomorrow all of you.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: Apr 13, 2020, 05:59 AM »
Picked up 100 or so on my walk this morning. Replenishes my bullhead supply for a while.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.