FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sierra Club Hijacked by Environmental Terrorism  (Read 2900 times)

Cider

Sierra Club Hijacked by Environmental Terrorism
« on: Apr 08, 2004, 03:52 PM »
This is from the consumer freedom website (http://www.consumerfreedom.com) and is along the same lines of what I read about the modern Sierra Club in a college environmental policy class that debated the merits of environmental organizations and their true missions.  The Sierra Club does support environmental terrorism and activism against fishing and hunting.  The organization has been infiltrated by members of PETA and Greenpeace.  These people have perverted the original mission of the Sierra Club.  They take their attacks to the limit of the law so that they can avoid prosecution.  Their actions are similar to common terrroists.

Sierra Club: Ever More Radical

Posted On September 4, 2003

The Sierra Club is one of the nation’s most powerful environmental groups. Its campaigns against livestock agriculture, modern crop farming, and even vineyards have been devastating to farmers across America. While the Sierra Club uses aggressive tactics, its activities aren’t against the law.

But in April, the Sierra Club elected “Captain” Paul Watson -- one of the fathers of environmental terrorism -- to its Board of Directors. Watson’s methods of environmental and animal-rights activism include ramming fishing boats and firing shotguns at fisherman in a way that is "not defensive." And he has hatched a plan to wrest control of the Sierra Club. At the Animal Rights 2003 conference in Los Angeles, Watson explained his strategy:

One of the reasons that I’m on the, um, the Sierra Club board of directors right now is to try and change it … we’re only three directors away from controlling that board. We control one-third of it right now. And, uh, once we get three more directors elected, the Sierra Club will not, no longer be pro-hunting and pro-trapping and we can use the resources of the $95-million-a-year budget to address some of these issues. And the heartening thing about it is that, in the last election, of the 750,000 members of the Sierra Club, only 8 percent of them voted. So, you know, a few hundred, or a few thousand people from the animal rights movement joining the Sierra Club -- and making it a point to vote -- will change the entire agenda of that organization.

With a slate of directors under his control, will Watson stop once the Sierra Club comes out against fishing? Unlikely. At last year’s animal-rights conference, he argued “we should never feel like we’re going too far in breaking the law.” Watson also declared “there’s nothing wrong with being a terrorist, as long as you win.” And, most chillingly, he stated:

If you do not intend to kill anybody, if you make every effort to not kill and injure anybody, that’s all you really can do. You can’t stop somebody from walking into a situation, and we really can’t be too overly preoccupied with this.

At the more recent Los Angeles convention, Watson said that he “owed no allegiance to humanity.” Instead: “I have done everything I can to fight for his kind [whales] not our kind.”  He noted that his niche is “ramming ships and pissing people off.”  He called fishermen “the biggest bunch of sadistic bastards in the world.”  Finally, Watson suggested that it would be appropriate for environmentalists to “rise up and rip those loggers limb from limb.” 

The Sierra Club has flirted with Watson-style radicalism before. The founder of the militant Earth First! group, Dave Foreman, hinted in the April 1990 issue of Smithsonian magazine that his organization may be “secretly controlled” by groups like the Sierra Club:

“We thought it would have been useful to have a group to take a tougher position than the Sierra Club and the Wilderness Society,” Foreman remembers. “It could be sort of secretly controlled by the mainstream and trotted out at hearings to make the Sierra Club or Wilderness Society look moderate.”

Long-time Sierra Club executive director David Brower once argued that Earth First! helped the Sierra Club accomplish its goals:

The Sierra Club made the Nature Conservancy look reasonable. I founded Friends of the Earth to make the Sierra Club look reasonable. Then I founded Earth Island Institute to make Friends of the Earth look reasonable. Earth First! now makes us look reasonable. We’re still waiting for someone else to come along and make Earth First! look reasonable.

Paul Watson claimed in the pages of the Earth First! Journal that he invented tree spiking, the sabotage technique Earth First! made famous. Watson described his relationship with Earth First! this way:

“Right now we're in the early stages of World War III," says Paul Watson, director of Sea Shepherd. "We are the navy to Earth First!'s army," says Watson. "It's the war to save the planet. This kind of action will be getting stronger. The environmental movement doesn't have many deserters and has a high level of recruitment. Eventually there will be open war.”

wyogator

Re: Sierra Club Hijacked by Environmental Terrorism
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2004, 04:47 PM »
That's pretty scary. I did hear that the Sierra Club was trying to get rid of that Watson idiot. I'd like to find out the outcome.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:43 PM »
Cider, I would like to say thanks for posting things like this..You are oviously a very passionate outdoorsman as is myself..I have heard about this matter before,all theese organizations are trying to outdo each other and it just makes me think that we can never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

wyogator

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2004, 06:55 PM »
Hey Cider. I have done some research on this. Apparently the PETA people haven't taken over the Sierra Club yet. The elections are scheduled for April (this month.) It is important to know that the Sierra Club is not a radical organization, and they are not anti-hunting and fishing. The current or former director is sending out petitions to block this Watson guy from hijacking the organization. It is important to know that the Sierra Club is the largest environmental organization in the world, with 750,000 members. Some of these members are animal rights freaks, others (alot of others) are hunters and fishermen. The Sierra Club as a whole is concerned with the environment, and has a neutral stance on animal rights. Some local chapters may not like hunting or fishing, others may actually fund grants for hunters and fishermen. I also read this online. "Jeff Tittel, executive director of the New Jersey chapter of The Sierra Club said his group doesn't oppose a hunt but believes the state has not developed a comprehensive plan to manage bears." Watson, however, and this is the scary part, want's to take control, so he can use the millions of dollars from members, including hunters and fishermen, to fund his animal rights crusade! Nevermind that this organization has nothing to do with animal rights. This will provide him and his and PETA's self serving interests with alot of ammo. Think of what he can do with millions of dollars!

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2004, 07:17 PM »
The original article I posted said that they were three members away from having a controlling interest in the club.  That alone is scary.  Sounds like it is time for all these 750,000 "ghost" members to come out of the shadows and make their voices heard!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2004, 07:49 PM »
This group is typical of any self perpetuating, money grubbing cult. They all compete for the dollars of the duped housewives and wannabe hippies of the world.

They preach world environmental disaster, tugging at the heartstrings of the naive, while siphoning their hard earned dollars in the name of some global salvation fantasy. It's  their meal ticket. Without their gloom and doom...we're all gonna die.....what about the children.... rhetoric, they couldn't  bilk anyone out of their dollars.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

reubenpa

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:01 PM »
eloquently stated RG
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:02 PM »
Golly gee Wally, :o :o I'd figure somethin' this important would be brought up in the news media to stop these bad guys?? ??? ??.  Right............ Man, I have to filter this stuff alittle better before drinking it!!  ;D

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:01 PM »
In another life and another post here on MFF I worked for local government, parks and recreation. We used to do a lot of community oriented activities, after all, it was their, not our, park system. We received a request to have a tree planting ceremony for Earth Day. The Sierra Club secured a donation from Agway to plant several trees in an inner-city park. The Sierra Club also (secretly) contacted the local environmental newspaper writer, who published this big article on Environmental Racism, the day of the ceremony. Well guess what the media came to the recreation center to ask the Mayor about?

As someone involved with helping coordinate the planting, which would have been a good and timely community event, I felt particularly bad for the mayor being ambushed in such a deceitful way. The Sierra Club’s secret manipulation of the event to publicly slam the Mayor made it a potentially ugly happening. A mayor with great grace handled it all in stride (and yes, he was a Republican). [You will have to find the other thread here on MFF to get the rest of the inside humor on this].

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.