FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Monofilament, Fluorocarbon, or Braid? Which is more reliable, versatile, etc??  (Read 4544 times)

BIGinNY98

This topic will be split in two parts.

Part 1:

Which line should I use Monofilament, Fluorocarbon, or Braid?   ???

I've used Monofilament for ages then I slowly started using Braid.

But I would like to know if one of them could do it all?    I'm talking freshwater fishing only.     Trout, Crappie, Bass, Perch, etc..

Can one kind of line be used for multiple species?   What about line weights and colors?    Is there a good weight that can handle most fish (large but not monsters)?

Part 2:

What is the best way to attach lures or rigs to your line?   Directly or one of these:

No-Knot Fast Snaps
Brass Barrel Snap Swivels
Norman Lures Speed Clip
QuickSwirl™ Lure Connector (with Swivel)
SPRO Split Snaps
Breakaway Fast Links
Steel Leaders

Less time tying, more time fishing is what I like.  :)

Which way would be the most reliable way?   

Please let me know what you think.    I've connected lures using swivels before.   Most times I've good luck, but the bad luck is also there.
I'd like to get into better fishing habits, but I need some help.  :)
Fish = Life, Life = Fish, any questions?

OTIS

This is a complex question.  I use different lines for different species, different lures and depths.  For trout I use 2-4 pound mono, Trilene XL.  Same for perch and panfish.  For walleye I like to use 4 pound mono if I'm jigging in 20 feet or less.  If I'm going deeper or using heavier lures I use Suffix 834(?) 12 pound with a 10 pound fluorocarbon leader (4-6 feet).  I tie the lines together using two improved clinch knots.  This setup gives great sensitivity, minimal stretch, and great hook setting.  The same goes for bass fishing, which I don't do much.  If I'm jigging buck tails or twisters I like to tie directly to the jig head. If I'm using a spinner of any type I like to use a ball betting swivel.  Otherwise I use a quick snap.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Reel Force

I have had great luck with Power Pro 8lb braid = 1lb. mono dia., tied direct to lure or bait. Caught everything from small Brook Trout,Crappie,Gills,Perch - to 18" Brown Trout and Bass.

stripernut

I can't normally use one outfit for both bass and trout. Trout lure are to light/bass lures to heavy for one outfit to do it even half way decently. For bass 20-25lb Power Pro or Cortland Master Braid. I rarely use snap swivels, tied to a lure they deaden the action of the lure. I most often tie a good quality swivel  18"-24" up the line (the leader being fluorocarbon) then use a Berkely Cross lock Snap to attach the lure, if I use anything at all. As to the swivels, that you use, makes a BIG difference, here is something that I have written about swivels before;

"If you are going to use a swivel then the best one to use is a Sampo Ball Bearing Swivel (black) or a Spro Ball Bearing. Almost all swivels do not turn under torque, Sampo and Spro are some of the very few that do. Yes they cost more, but none of the other work at all, so the money spent on others is a complete waste.
It always makes me laugh when I look at a wall of swivels in a tackle shop and almost all of them are only good as a sliding weight stopper. Don't take my word for it, hang some (small) weights on a line with a swivel tied in the middle and give the weight a spin. In almost every case you will find that the whole line spins and the swivel never breaks free and lets the lower section spin by its self. With a Sampo the lower section will spin. Barrel swivels should not even be called swivels in my book. They just don’t have the low friction needed to keep the line from spinning. Keep in mind just how easy it is to spin a line and how a swivel needs to be very near to friction free to actual to work. That is why most don’t work!"

For my trout outfit 4-6lb mono (Stren), tied straight to the lure.

BIGinNY98

Thank for replying guys.   It's a great help so far.   

It's hard for me to keep up with the "basics" when I haven't fished too much.   

My closest true "fishing buddies"  live over 200 miles away.  :)   I've haven't fished been able to fish with them in a few years.  :(
But they aren't to technical with their fishing.   :)   They'd do fine with line, hook, and bait.
_________________________________________________ ______

What else can to tell me?

I'd like to get a better idea of which lines or line combinations work best overall.

Thx,  :)

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
I like a nice copolymer.  Has the low stretch and abrasion resistance of a fluorocarbon but it handles like a mono.  And as far as tieing on the lure I usually just go line right to the lure (or line onto the split ring on the lure)

BIGinNY98

What are some of more reliable brands for each type of line?

Who has the best Monofilament, Fluorocarbon, Braid?

Thx,  :)

stripernut

Trick question right! LOL...
Depends many things and each angers "taste"...

Floro, I only use for leader mat. and I use Searguard leader Materiel... There is a difference between leader material and line used to fill a spool...

slipperybob

Monofilament is more versatile...straight from hook, line, and sinker to slip bobber rig.

I don't use Floro or Braids for slip bobber rigs.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.