FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga 2021  (Read 108260 times)

piscesman

Re: Great Sacandaga 2019
« Reply #90 on: Jun 30, 2019, 06:20 AM »
Up our way towards the dam the fry are generally walleye. Have seen massive schools of them so we know they have a chance to survive and grow. This year we also spotted a pair of Loons and they could bother the fishing some. What's the water level at?? Been 3 weeks since there but will be in a few days for the 4th holiday. Thanks for any help.
      KIm :flag:
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #91 on: Jun 30, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Piscesman, the water level is about the same as 3 weeks ago. If anything it might be a little higher. They are drawing pretty hard on it right now.

I once asked an ECO if they had ever netted any bait fish to try to ID them, not that he knew of.
I would think that if they were perch, we would be catching more perch. Later in the season when they are bigger, they don't look like perch or walleyes. Some books I have read say that there are 2 or 3 types of minnows in the lake. Over the years, many of the walleyes that I have cleaned, had perch in them. That could be because they hang out together....h2l

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #92 on: Jul 08, 2019, 05:15 PM »
Out today, first time since 6/28. Lake has dropped about 2 feet, water temp 78/79 out in the lake. 9 walleyes and 1 perch. 6 were keepers. Caught fish in 16 to 40 fow. But not many in any one spot. Lots of bait balls at about 23 feet....h2l

piscesman

« Reply #93 on: Jul 11, 2019, 05:06 AM »
Over the 4th wife and I caught 9 with 2 shorts. Up to 18". They spit out minnows and perch fry. Had to work to locate them. White jig seemed to be the ticket. We drift fish only.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #94 on: Jul 11, 2019, 05:50 AM »
Way to go. Glad you had a good weekend on the lake....h2l

beerbellybob106

« Reply #95 on: Jul 14, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Found a nice pod of fish this morning in 22fow. Was able to grab a 17",18" and 22" before they shut down also landed several shorts all on bottom bouncers and harnesses

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #96 on: Jul 15, 2019, 05:22 AM »
Nice fish. Hoping to get out in the next day or two, if it doesn't get too hot....h2l

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #97 on: Jul 16, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Got my butt kicked today. Only 2 walleyes and 1 perch and I had to work for those. Did have a pike on for about 2 seconds, it got my jig. The few hits I had were very light and tight to bottom. Water temp 77*…..h2l

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #98 on: Jul 16, 2019, 03:17 PM »
Least you got out.  That's great...
More than I did.....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

piscesman

« Reply #99 on: Jul 16, 2019, 07:31 PM »
Hope to get back this weekend. Water level should be down and can check in usual areas. With 90's coming in I'd rather be on the water. Tight Lines to all. And Thanks John........
      Kim
      author unknown

LooseEye90

« Reply #100 on: Jul 16, 2019, 08:10 PM »
I too hit the lake today with a buddy.

We worked hard, fishing over 6 hours, for 4 keepers, 4 shorts and a few long distance releases. All fish on sticks fished close to bottom. As H2L said the water is warm, anything between mid to high 70s. I left the fish hawk at home so no down temp.

All in all not a horrible day to be on the lake. Super calm and overcast for the morning then the sun broke and baked us.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #101 on: Jul 17, 2019, 06:27 AM »
LooseEye, glad you were able to get out. Too bad no Fish Hawk, it would be nice to know the bottom temps now that the lake has warmed-up.

Piscesman I hit some of my spots yesterday, no fish. Even the one spot where I had been doing well this year, NO fish. It may have been just one of those days. I have fished this lake for over 60 years and until last year I had spots and areas where I could go and catch fish. Last year that changed but I found some new spots where I did well. This year those are not producing many fish.  I haven't been able to figure it out. This year we did have a late Spring, the lake was high most of the Winter and early this spring. (it is at target level now). One thing I didn't see this year was a "bug hatch" out on the lake. (I may have missed it)

See what happens when you get old and fish alone, YOU THINK too much. That is what the wife tells me. I do know that there are a lot of 14 to 15 inch fish this year, the perch that I am catching are pretty good size, it's TOO hot to fish, I haven't caught a SMB yet this year and I did catch my biggest walleye in 4/5 years so NOT all is bad. Did mention it's TOO hot....Good luck guys....h2l

Tom Hannock

« Reply #102 on: Jul 19, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Hopefully I can get up there soon.  Been traveling and working too much.  Fishing should be getting good now. 
Friends don't let friends use tipups.

Jcoup

« Reply #103 on: Jul 20, 2019, 11:06 AM »
Got out this morning early.  Found some marks from 25-35 feet.  Most on bottom.  Trolled harnesses.  Caught 10 and kept 2.  Most were 13-14 inches. 

piscesman

« Reply #104 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Went up Sat AM due to late Fri work. 2 in morning after 9:00. Went out just before dark. 1- 16" and lost a big one about 50' from the boat. Wind was pushing me as reeling it in. Must have been in roof of mouth. 1st fish I've lost in a year.... Still not a bad 1.5 days......
      Kim
      author unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.