FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rg's Vertical Planter  (Read 1330 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Rg's Vertical Planter
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:23 AM »
So....I've been dabbling with the idea of some vertical planters for my limited garden spaces. Had a brainstorm while I was out for my morning walk yesterday. I like building from what I already have. I had a roll of 36" long 2x4" galvanized fencing, a roll of weed barrier fabric and some coffee containers.

So I cut a piece of fencing 9 openings long leaving one end with open wire.

I formed it into a round and bent the wire ends over to hold it together making it into a small diameter cage.

Then I cut a piece of fabric long enough to wrap around the cage almost twice.

I formed a tube from the fabric and stapled the ends to hold them temporarily until its filled .

I wiggled the tube of fabric into the cage.

Popped some drainage holes in the coffee container.

A little form fitting at the bottom of the cage.

And PRESTO! A vertical planter.

I filled one yesterday as a test.  Cut a cross slot and stuck in a peat pod with a started plant. Worked super!

I plan to bury the container just under the soil and support the cage with a piece of 1/2" emt driven into the ground. I have an idea for a watering tube inside to assure it gets moisture from top to bottom.

Took about 15 minutes each. I figure cost around $2.50 apiece.

I can see flower  and strawberry towers this summer.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BLACK ICE

Re: Rg's Vertical Planter
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:44 AM »

Good idea Rg. you should get some nice plants from them. It's just a thought you could do the same with 5 gal. pales and
             grow potatoes just keep filling the tube with dirt!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Rg's Vertical Planter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:26 AM »
That's an idea for sure. I'm gonna make a couple two tier towers for my Moon Flowers. I have a bunch started already. With this up and down weather, I'm gonna wait another couple weeks to plant.

Next I've got to make a pile of planting medium. I'm thinking I'll go with a mix of sterilized garden soil, peat, perlite and maybe some sand. I figure they're containers so drainage is critical. Probably should add some garden lime and bonemeal to supplement the mix and counteract the acidity of the peat. I've got some pretty good composted material to sift out too.

I'm definitely open for suggestions here.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.