FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Foul hooked or not?  (Read 5303 times)

fishinjohn

Re: Foul hooked or not?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 01:07 PM »
its pretty simple, as long as the rear hook was inside the mouth and not outside or along it.

I've caught plenty of fish on cranks where the front hooks are in mouth and rear hooks are buried in the outside of the gill plate
Just saying

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 09:18 PM »
I posted this to get some action on this board.

RG- This is a forum for discussion. That's the point.  Just looking for an opinion and to bring this place alive... success I'd say.

Mac - I care that's why I asked. I never mentioned a state this occurred in so how do you just presume the bass season is closed and that no one cares. For the record bass season never closes in my state.

Zwiggles, fishinjohn , meandcuzalfy, you are spot on. Just a hypothetical question is all this was, never mentioned a bass tourney,just looking for opinions based on the scenario I presented. Thank you three for reading the question and answering accordingly.

Roccuus- so have I that's why I started this topic to begin with. It WAS related to the walleye record. I don't know the guy and don't care about his record. Your response was the most respectful to the original question I asked so thank you.

Just trying to pick your brain people not make this a why and who did it post. Yes or no is justifying.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 09:20 PM »
I've caught plenty of fish on cranks where the front hooks are in mouth and rear hooks are buried in the outside of the gill plate
Just saying

Spot on. That's why I asked. Maybe people don't run cranks, jerks, or swimbaits... 3 hook lures do exist and funky things happen with them.
Wicked Wec

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 10:09 PM »
Spot on. That's why I asked. Maybe people don't run cranks, jerks, or swimbaits... 3 hook lures do exist and funky things happen with them.
You are spot on. Although I own cranks and jerks I prefer to run jigs.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 06:55 AM »
If it's got any one of the lures' hooks in it's mouth, it's not foul hooked, pretty simple if you ask me.

filetandrelease

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 07:17 AM »
Well I fish walleyes often , now I’m shore casting floating sticks , and very aggressive
Eye will slash at a stick  bait so hard many times they are hooked in the side of the face or under the jaw ,   my retrieve is so slow many times the lure is only down a 1’ over 3-5 FOW

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Well I fish walleyes often , now I’m shore casting floating sticks , and very aggressive
Eye will slash at a stick  bait so hard many times they are hooked in the side of the face or under the jaw ,   my retrieve is so slow many times the lure is only down a 1’ over 3-5 FOW

Exactly.

My opinion is this and you can agree or disagree with it - If a fish makes the attempt to hit a lure or bait and you accidentally "snag" it when reacting to the bite, it should not be considered a true snag.

Here is a definition that I found that also implies to my opinion.

Snagging, also known as snag fishing, snatching, snatch fishing, jagging (Australia), or foul hooking, is a method of fishing that entails catching a fish using hooks without the fish having to take the bait with their mouth.

Have you ever fished for bluefish in a schooling blitz? If you have you know that 75% of those fish get hooked on the side of the face because they strike so viciously, especially top water.
Wicked Wec

filetandrelease

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 09:26 AM »

Sharps I agree completely ,  I have friends that fish bass tournaments and we have had this very discussion, with the same results
 I fished blues just once when I worked in NYC omg it was a friggen hoot and they(BF) we’re insane ,
 I’m not judging this man with the trophy eye as I didn’t witness the catch

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Sharps, I agree with that. There's a big difference in intentionally snagging and foul hooking an agressive fish slamming a bait.  I found Idaho's definition of snagging.

Snagging: Taking or attempting to take a fish by use of a
hook or lure in any manner or method other than enticing
or attracting a fish to strike with, and become hooked in, its
mouth or jaw. Game fish cannot be harvested unless hooked in
the mouth or jaw. Snag fishing is illegal except where allowed
by special rule. Snagging of unprotected nongame fish species is
permitted.

slipperybob

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 11:55 AM »
That fish tried to tail slap my lure and got hooked... ;D

I had nothing to do with that.  :o
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Sharps I agree completely ,  I have friends that fish bass tournaments and we have had this very discussion, with the same results
 I fished blues just once when I worked in NYC omg it was a friggen hoot and they(BF) we’re insane ,
 I’m not judging this man with the trophy eye as I didn’t witness the catch

Your boyz told me you like that special spoon during ice season!   ::)

jperch

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 12:40 PM »
It just depends on which treble was the first to hook the fish.  Remove them from the fish in the opposite order, easy! ::) ::)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Exactly.

My opinion is this and you can agree or disagree with it - If a fish makes the attempt to hit a lure or bait and you accidentally "snag" it when reacting to the bite, it should not be considered a true snag.

Oh, I get it now. Yes, I agree completely, that shouldn't be a snag.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Your boyz told me you like that special spoon during ice season!   ::)

Jon - was this for me or filetandrelease?
Wicked Wec

filetandrelease

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Jon - was this for me or filetandrelease?
I believe it was meant for me , but I’m not sure which bait he is referring to ,
 ice fishing fishing can’t remember 1 being fouled as they are chasing vertically, and I don’t  use sink pipe , far as horizontally from the boat ,  I have fouled some eyes  with bucktails and blades in deeper water , I’m not afraid to admit it happens occasionally

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.