FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 10ft jon boat registration required?  (Read 7119 times)

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
10ft jon boat registration required?
« on: Oct 16, 2017, 08:37 PM »
I got a old 10ft jon boat for free from a friend and was going to just use a trolling motor on it. does it still need to be registered? i heard that if it doesnt have a motor it doesnt need to be registered. all the dealer logos are worn off so i dont know what brand or year it is to register it.

fishlessman

Re: 10ft jon boat registration required?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:10 AM »
if its really old i think it just needs a hull number  rubbing.  it was a hassle registering my 1950 mirrorcraft to the point i wrote up a bill of sale to my brother in nh and he registered it there

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Anything with a motor needs to be registered, including electric motors.  Even if you have a trolling motor attached to a canoe it is supposed to be registered.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Baitbucket

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Anything with a motor needs to be registered, including electric motors.  Even if you have a trolling motor attached to a canoe it is supposed to be registered.

^Spot on

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2017, 05:59 PM »
it doesnt even have a hull number left on it.

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2017, 07:51 AM »
it doesnt even have a hull number left on it.

"Boats built prior to 1972 or any vessel that does not have a 12 character hull identification number (HIN) must have the state issue one. Boat inspections are performed by the Massachusetts Environmental Police. Call 1-800-632-8075 to arrange an inspection.  The inspecting officer will provide the customer with an inspection certificate that must be presented when registering the vessel."

Lot of info here: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/boat-registration-faqs

I believe the fine is 50$

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2017, 10:12 AM »
Of course the $50 question is :  So how many people, unless fishing MAJOR waterways, have ever seen a game warden or EPO on freshwater?
Oh, sure, you may see them on the Q, or along the popular trout waters in western Mass, but on some of the more remote/backwater rivers and ponds they are never seen or heard of.

I fish in a kayak on the Charles and Sudbury rivers, and a number of ponds in the area.
The ONLY time I have been approached by a game warden in the past 15 years was when I was ice fishing on a pond in Westford and Wayland.

The state "requires" registrations but unless you put in where they prefer to patrol, you will rarely ever be checked.

I'm not complaining or bragging but rather stating what I have observed (or didn't observe, depending on how you look at it) while out and about. Most people do it right and follow the rules, but there may be some that don't and they are usually the ones that are breaking more than just the boat registration law....
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Of course the $50 question is :  So how many people, unless fishing MAJOR waterways, have ever seen a game warden or EPO on freshwater?
Oh, sure, you may see them on the Q, or along the popular trout waters in western Mass, but on some of the more remote/backwater rivers and ponds they are never seen or heard of.

I fish in a kayak on the Charles and Sudbury rivers, and a number of ponds in the area.
The ONLY time I have been approached by a game warden in the past 15 years was when I was ice fishing on a pond in Westford and Wayland.

The state "requires" registrations but unless you put in where they prefer to patrol, you will rarely ever be checked.

I'm not complaining or bragging but rather stating what I have observed (or didn't observe, depending on how you look at it) while out and about. Most people do it right and follow the rules, but there may be some that don't and they are usually the ones that are breaking more than just the boat registration law....

So do you take that same approach when keeping fish?  Oh the warden isn't around so I'm going to keep over my limit.  Obviously the EPO is severely understaffed but the fact that there are some should be a deterrent enough to play by the rules regardless of your thoughts on them.

Don't want to be a soap box guy but I don't think that is the mindset people should take with fish and game laws.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2017, 11:02 AM »

have only been checked one time in mass on fresh water, and it was during a derby.  with everything i have registered i wish they would just get rid of this law for electric trolling motors but maintain safety inspections for preservers, lights etc. im at the point that i need to make decisions on which boats im using and where each year for registration

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2017, 03:15 PM »
have only been checked one time in mass on fresh water, and it was during a derby.  with everything i have registered i wish they would just get rid of this law for electric trolling motors but maintain safety inspections for preservers, lights etc. im at the point that i need to make decisions on which boats im using and where each year for registration

In CT you dont need a boaters license for a craft with just a troller but you do need to have it registered.

Baitbucket

« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I get checked a couple times a year. Hell i even got checked while out in the ocean fishing fro my kayak. The epo pulled up in their boat and checked my lic and my catch right there on the water.

That being said, the fear of being caught isnt why i follow the rules. I follow the rules because they are there for a reason.

james1981

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2017, 08:04 PM »
 I guess its more on the lines of paying sales tax in the state. Its required before you register anything, Its easy once you get the thing registered you can just do everything online, Except waiting in line in Worcester, that is just maddening and when you pay and they don't send you the registration that was my experience this year.

Friends of friends with an EPO, the best story from last weekend was a guy shooting 6 pheasants in one day, 4 over limit and reached his season limit in one outing. Doing something because you can doesn't make it right. Is one trout over, one bird over or any amount of fish or game really worth losing the right to have fun.  Its easier to just get the stupid thing registered then have this monkey on your back.

james1981

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2017, 08:07 PM »
 FYI, follow the rules in NH if you ever fish or hunt there, Know the laws and limits. I can tell you that I see those guys out and about everywhere, the last thing you want is to be on Northwoods Law... LOL..  I get checked at least 2 times a year out there, mainly hunting and fishing in the white mountains. I mean I was in 5 miles on road hiking out from fishing on the remote pond and the boys in green where just rolling by...  If you want the real wilderness feeling White mountains are where the 30 brookie days are..

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2017, 10:37 PM »
im thinking of just using oars. im just going to leave it at a buddys house at one of the ponds i fish. if i only use oars do i still need it registered? just going to use it for some crappie fishing in the spring so i dont really need a motor. already have a 12t jon boat with a 9.9 on a trailer for all the heavy work so was just going to leave the 10ft one at the pond.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:11 AM »
If you stick with oars you do not need to register the boat.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.