FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cats in south Winnipeg  (Read 2475 times)

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
Cats in south Winnipeg
« on: Jul 19, 2004, 08:43 AM »
Perch pounder and I decided last night after supper to try for cats off Frobisher Road in St. Vital.  Previously we'd only shore fished, but launched the boat instead, and found a spot about 20' deep.  Fishing was slow, and the sun was almost down before he caught the 35.5 incher on a shrimp and heavy tackle, while I got the scrappy little guy on light tackle and a worm.

Trophy Hunter639

Re: Cats in south Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2004, 01:03 PM »
Nice fish guy's  8) I have a lot of respect for those little guys! I use sucker steaks1.5'' thick (whole peice) and those mini cats will take that! They are a blast on light gear very powerful I caught a bunch of them while fishing for fresh bait last night they were biting steady on nightcrawlers I had some frozen suckers so after about a half an hour of those little cats I gave up on fresh bait and used my suckers and cught 5 just under 34'' and ended off with a nice 35.25'' cat they are my number 1 favourite summer fish :D

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2004, 04:59 PM »
nice whiskers!!...i just love the color and markings of the younger cats...and some of them that move into the river from the lake....i honestly think they are awesome...keep em coming guys....great pics....grump 8)

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2004, 04:54 PM »
The younger cats like that and a little bigger are great eating, whereas the bigger ones are horrid-tasting because of that yellow bellyfat that they get..ewww. That small one is good eating though!!!

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2004, 08:57 AM »
The "fishin' hole" shown is about 3 minutes from my house.  My kids grew up spending most of their time in summer keeping out of trouble by fishing.  Perch pounder racked up personal totals of over 1000 fish caught in 2 months in the river (inc. channel cats, bullheads, drum, walleye, saugers, pike and suckers).  As for the little cat, I let him go as I might catch him again next year, but I agree about how tasty he would have been! 

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2004, 10:28 AM »
Those fish are just about as ugly as a Burbot. Nice catch tho.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

perchfisher

• waitin' for a bite
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2004, 02:09 PM »
Those fish are just about as ugly as a Burbot. Nice catch tho.
the little ones arent ugly just the big ones.
-cole

perch pounder

• Keep on poundin'
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2004, 10:05 AM »
Ya , just like all animals the "kittens"  (small channel cats) are cute . ;D
here  fishy , fishy , fishy.......

perchfisher

• waitin' for a bite
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2004, 10:12 AM »
Ya , just like all animals the "kittens"  (small channel cats) are cute . ;D
yep jus like puppies or baby tigers or lions.
-cole

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2004, 05:58 PM »
C'mon, they're all cute...then again, since you guys have seen my mug, I don't have a very good reference for attractiveness....

Derek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.