FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lowrance Elite-5X DSI Sonar Question  (Read 24270 times)

Bowdoin boy

Lowrance Elite-5X DSI Sonar Question
« on: Nov 21, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Hey guy's I'm looking at getting a new Fishfinder and saw a Lowrance Elite-5X DSI Sonar on sale and was wondering if anyone has one and if they like it or not.pro/con's

Thanks
Live Life like its your last time out!!

eyedoktr

Re: Lowrance Elite-5X DSI Sonar Question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2013, 06:06 PM »
They are excellent units. You must remember though that they are only a DI unit and will not show traditional 2D sonar images.
Pete Lewis

kingfisher22

Re: Lowrance Elite-5X DSI Sonar Question
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:49 AM »
I'm not crazy about.  Mostly because it is only down imaging.  Down imaging is nice, but I don't think you will like it as the only sonar you have.  I usually leave my Humminbird on the conventional sonar and switch to DI if I want to clarify what I'm looking at.  Fish on DI show up really small like little white dots.  You really have to stare at the screen to see them.  It offers better bottom separation and a wider view.  With DI the slice of the bottom you see is equal to the depth you are in.  So if you are in 20 ft of water, you are seeing a slice of bottom 20 ft across, and think of it as a slice through the water column that runs parallel to the transom of your boat.  Conventional sonar with a 20 degree cone will show you a circular area of the bottom roughly 1/3 the depth you are in, so in 20 ft  of water you are looking at approximately a little better than a 6' circle on the bottom (the base of a cone).  My opinion is to save a little more money and get the Elite 7 - the model that has GPS, conventional sonar AND down imaging.  You can't go wrong with that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.