FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: pinchot state part  (Read 5109 times)

sport masterson

• Waiting for 32 degrees.
pinchot state part
« on: Apr 03, 2006, 08:31 PM »
i haven't talked to most of you guys since ice out in early january on ice shanty, but now i've found this site and i'm back in action.  i'm a caseworker for juvenile boys and my company is taking twelve kids camping in late may into june at pinchot.  i know from doing a little research that the lake is good for bass and crappie, but what i want to know is whether or not this is the kind of lake that kids, ages 12 - 17, with little or no fishing experience/skill can go and catch fish?  there is nothing like taking kids fishing, but i can definately go without the complaining of being bored if they dont catch a fish on every cast.  any info on this lake would also be greatly appreciated.

thanks everyone,

C.P.R.

josh
Jesus was a fisherman too.  So, along with all you guys... I'm in pretty good company. 
God Bless.

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
Re: pinchot state part
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2006, 10:24 PM »
Josh,

I can not give you much info on this lkae but i know that it can be a good place to fish.  you might not get fish every cast but there are alot of bluegills in it.  I know that they occosionally draw this lake down to make repairs on it and may have even drianed this lake totally.  You might find some more info on this lkae on the Pa lakes section just go through the pages untill you find the lake you are looking for. 

Dave

beernut

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2006, 10:57 AM »
Great place to go camping and a fun place to catch fish! I have fished this lake for many many years! Blue gills are very plentiful as Dave has said! You should have no problems with the kids catching fish and having a great time! Definitely one lake and park that the kids will have a good time at!

jkrfp

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2006, 06:08 PM »
 8)Pinchot can be an excellent lake for kids to catch fish.  I have been fishing it for over 40 years.

Will you be staying in the cabins or will you be tenting?  It takes me about 20 minutes to drive there. I keep a 12' boat there on the north side near the Rangers home.  It has lots of bluegills and crappies as well as Largemouth bass, hybrid stripers, northern pike, catfish and carp.

It was drawn down this year, but it was not drained completely.

I plan to spend the week before Memorial Day fishing at Ocean City, MD.  It may be possible for me to give you a hand.
Will be leaving this Sunday A.M for China until May1.
Tight lines,
John

bassbait

• KICKIN SOME BASS
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2006, 11:40 AM »
so where is this lake?

jkrfp

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Pinchot State Park is in York Co. North of York and a 15 minute drive west from the Newberrytown exit of I83.

boatnik13

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2006, 09:26 PM »
Reading the post !   Here  is some info for you as I'm going to be winding up my new lake structure map due out this June or earlyer.  Best places I've taken my kids too at Pinchot is #1. The spillway , #2  boat dock #2 just below the ranger station. If your going to walk the shores in JUNE  then watch out for "TICS".    I have never seen the lake fully drawn down nor will they ever do that. It gets drawn down 6 ft. or so. Either for weed controll or pipe repair. As for the fish > " NO NORTHERN PIKE " sorry but true. Its been years since the last pike was trapped or netted. It does have Bass ( Lgm, and Hybrid stripers) and Channel cats, Musky, Tiger musky, Walleye , Crappie, Panfish, Pickerel, and sometimes a stray Small mouth bass or Rainbow trout from Beaver creek influence. My suggestions on location allows youngsters plenty of room for casting but get there early. All these fish can be caught from shore. This lake is narrow and about 3 miles long.   Anyone looking for turn by turn directions to lake > I can post it.

sport masterson

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2006, 07:33 PM »
thanks to everyone for the info...our date got changed and we are camping the week of may 15-19.  we are tenting and will most likely be fishing from shore.  i'll remember the spillway, docks, and below the ranger station as places to get into some good fish.  i dont care what we catch as long as we are catching fish and the kids are happy.  i wouldn't mind doing a fish fry some night...so i hope the gills and maybe the crappie will cooperate. 
thanks again every one.

Happy Easter 

josh
Jesus was a fisherman too.  So, along with all you guys... I'm in pretty good company. 
God Bless.

boatnik13

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2006, 08:08 PM »
4/15/06  No one catching fish. At main dock/ ramp  I see shore fishermen using lures and minnows but no luck. I see plenty of small panfish at the dock looking for free hand-outs of returning boats. About 2 dozen boats today and everyone is fishing shallow with jigs/ spinners ,ect. No catches made in the hours of 7am-9 am.of the boaters we talked too. I saw fish holding tight to deep structure ( 10-15 ft depth). (underwater camera). Surface temp at 58 deg. f.  and at 15 ft. depth 49 deg. f 

sport masterson

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2006, 10:26 AM »
baotnik,

i passed on the info you provided about fishing locations to my supervisors and a few of the kids and they pretty excited to get out at pinchot when we get there.  by the time we get out the water will have, or should be, warmed sufficiently to make the fish hungry enough for us to have a good time.  i appreciate the update.

take care,

josh
God Bless.

beernut

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2006, 12:38 PM »
Anyone been fishing here? Does anyone know if they are still doing tournaments during the week in the evening? If so please tell me it is Wednesday?

marshrat

« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2006, 01:22 PM »
Hey how come all of you guys didn't sign up for the tourney ??????
Chris Neal
Twin Tier Angling Board
DON'T LEAVE FISH TO FIND FISH!!!!!

GO TEAM PA

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Hey how come all of you guys didn't sign up for the tourney ??????

They know better than to take on NY. ;D :flex:

boatnik13

« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2006, 07:28 PM »
Beernut !   Hybrid stripers at night and by day > Alot of people fishing.  I saw alot of huge Carp , all over the flats.  The ones I saw were between 10 and 15 lbs.  Spawn is on and water is heating up.  As for the stripers > Its a night time thing threw the month of JUNE. I wasen't fishing and did not see any big fish taken at day. This report is a week old for I have moved off to Lil' Buffalo lake to start mapping.    MARK!

beernut

« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2006, 09:06 AM »
What tournament you talking about? Thanks for the info boatnik!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.