FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623796 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Racquettedacker sent me an awesome gift of exotic parrot feathers from his mom's birds. What a great gift for a fly tier.  :bowdown:
They look to be from Blue and Gold,and Scarlet Macaw and  possibly an Amazon. (I used to raise parrots). I had a chance to play a little today.

The "Un-Pheasant Tail"

The "Un-Hare's Ear" (tied up side down and backwards :wacko:

How much fun can a guy have on a nasty day like this? A full fly bench and a sip or 2 of Eagle Rare 10 yr old bourbon.....Life really IS good.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

OTIS

« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2011, 12:53 PM »
If you tie flies already, you may want to consider a true rotary vise. I like the cam jaws. It's certainly the best design for hook holding power. It's reasonably priced.

RG

I tie jogs mostly.  From size 10 through 7/0.  It stems like a good match for what t twist up.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

esox v

« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Racquettedacker sent me an awesome gift of exotic parrot feathers from his mom's birds. What a great gift for a fly tier.  :bowdown:
They look to be from Blue and Gold,and Scarlet Macaw and  possibly an Amazon. (I used to raise parrots). I had a chance to play a little today.
Whooa !! Nice color's!! VERY NICE!!
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

fishingjason

« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:10 PM »

Waiting for the Salmon Fishing on the Finger Lakes!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:32 AM »
Cool!
I used to tie some tandoms for the finger lakes. Haven't messed with them in years. Still have a few left though. I always wondered is they'd work on the big lake. They're more ADK style I think.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:48 AM »
I like the "parrot tail" RG, - you don't trout fish much? You should with all your cool flies.

I used to have a cockatiel that I borrowed some feathers from but nothing like the colors you have.   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:52 PM »
You're right Bart...I should. I may have to make it one of my goals for this season. I spend most of my time searching small mouth in warm water streams or chucking flies for crappie and gills. I guess it's a matter of convenience. I can be in the warm water in 5 minutes where I've only ever seen 1 other person...and they were in a canoe and offered me a beer ;D

I bought a "Toon" last year to do some floats on trout waters, but quickly discovered that without someone else to float with, it's really difficult to get back to my vehicle  :-\ Had a lot of fun with it on ponds, but it's mainly designed for moving water. Maybe I'll meet up with someone this year.

RG

Bartman44

« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:42 PM »
I've been distracted by the free beer offer myself.  :laugh:  Those flies you tie are too nice to throw at bluegills (not to ding gills as I icefish all winter for them).   

Two cars are better than one. We floated part of the Ausable many years ago and had to hitch hike back to the car. Not doing that anymore. 

Drifter_016

« Reply #38 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:03 PM »
I bought a "Toon" last year to do some floats on trout waters, but quickly discovered that without someone else to float with, it's really difficult to get back to my vehicle  :-\ Had a lot of fun with it on ponds, but it's mainly designed for moving water. Maybe I'll meet up with someone this year.

RG

RG
Don't give up on that toon yet. They are very good portable fishing platforms.
I own 2 and have used them in rivers, estuaries, big and small lakes and ponds.
I have even set it up with an electric trolling motor and depth finder.
They work great for working river mouths spring and fall for trout and salmon.
They work well fishing ponds and small lakes for bass, walleye and pike as well as other warm and cold water fish.
I have had great luck fishing still water trout out of mine as well.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:47 AM »
Oh, I'm not giving up Dave, In fact I'm buying  a new trolling motor for my boat and dedicating the old one to the "Toon". I had enough outings last year to figure out what I needed to do to make it easier to deal with. I have materials for a set of wheels and plans for a better setup for the truck. I can't struggle with getting it in the water. That will drive me coo coo!

I'm building a longer 5wt for "Toon" fishing as well.

How well does the toon steer with the electric? Do you need a rudder? Or does the motor fill that need?

By the way, your pics last year were a huge influence when I was thinking about getting my new fish machine. Thanks!

RG

Drifter_016

« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:13 AM »
It steers well but can be a little too responsive due to the short length of the toon.
Get your self one of these (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16129_225008005_225000000_225008000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL) for your seat. It makes reaching the trolling motor much easier. 

esox v

« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:57 AM »
 Overstock has a few cats even some two seaters... seem reasonable.. I've been thinking of a Bigger cat instead of buying a drift boat. 
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Boats-Kayaks/3108/cat.html

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Dave. Mine swivels already. I couldn't believe how stable it is. I can stand right up with no problem, sit sideways if I like.

Which cat you thinking about Esox?

Wouldn't it be cool to get a few of us with toons and such and do a warm water float?

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Soooo, back to the flies ;D

Here's one I've been working on.
The "Un-Copper John"

I found this really neat holographic thread at Joann Fabrics the other day. I was working on their lights, so be careful what you say now..........

It has some real potential.

RG

esox v

« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Dave. Mine swivels already. I couldn't believe how stable it is. I can stand right up with no problem, sit sideways if I like.

Which cat you thinking about Esox?

Wouldn't it be cool to get a few of us with toons and such and do a warm water float?

RG
ODC XR9 or fish cat 9. If I get one my kid will drive me nut's... probably look into a 2 seater or something you can stand in. but they tend to start at a grand. The way it looks for the price of gas over the summer... a month of fishing out of that... instead of the boat.. it would be paid for!! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.