FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: number of drivers question  (Read 3649 times)

eyedoktr

number of drivers question
« on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:40 AM »
I'm sure there is someone who can answer this. Why is the number of cars/drivers limited to 43 ?  Why not an even number?
Pete Lewis

grumpymoe

Re: number of drivers question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2006, 09:26 AM »
NASCAR started working with the size of the field a number of years ago. At one point, the size of the field was determined by the number of pit stalls. Later, NASCAR decided to standardize the number for all race tracks. They settled on 36 qualifiers and 6 provisionals making a field of 42 cars.

The 43rd position was included when Richard Petty was having trouble making the starting lineup. NASCAR created a "Champions Provisional" to get Petty into the field. Today this provisional is used to help any present or past champion make the 43-car field. If a past champion doesn't use the provisional, it goes to the car owner with the highest points that didn't qualify on speed.

NASCAR has had a 43-car field ever since and I doubt it will ever change
...Grump

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2006, 09:31 AM »
thanks Grump. I feared that it had something to do with Petty. Man, that is sad IMHO.
Pete Lewis

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2006, 12:43 PM »
It's all about ratings and money. :-* If the King doesn't make the race, no-onw will watch it. ::) TV makes santioning bodies do strange things. :-\

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.