FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Continuing to perch...  (Read 1248 times)

LundProv

Continuing to perch...
« on: Jan 03, 2021, 09:43 PM »
I look forward to good ice when one can follow a person slightly larger and more brave onto good ice, but until then, I will continue to fish on soft water.  After church today, picked up my son and his friend and headed to Hammond to launch and go find some lake michigan perch.  The bite has been going on in Cal Harbor for several weeks/months and it really has not slowed down.  For some unknown reason, they would not let us launch out of Hammond today as they said it was too icy and was too dangerous and only my visual inspection appeared to show me a clear ramp with no ice in the harbor.  Well, we don't harass the messenger and thanked him for his information and headed to the ramp off of Ewing on the south side of Chicago.  This was my first time there and it was ok and seemed insulated in a park, away from the city even though the city of Chicago would like us to contribute $29 to launch and park there in this abandon park.  This made for a short boat drive to the mouth of the Chicago River (I think that is the name of this) and we went a short distance upstream and fished memories of where previous catches have occurred.  Three of us had 45 perch with none under 9" and a good number over 10" but none exceeding 11", in about one hour.  It was a bit cold and a snow flurry came and went but with good clothing and reliable equipment, we had a good couple of hours out of the house.  Retrieving the boat was routine and we listened to the Bears/Packers game on the radio on the way back home.  So, if you are too feverish indoors and the walls are closing in a bit, until the ice is safe, perch fishing is still an option. Where we were fishing does require an Illinois license just so you know.

Ilove2fish

Re: Continuing to perch...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2021, 03:04 AM »
Great report and glad to see someone able to get out.  Lakes around me are skimmed over with unsafe ice.  Getting twitchy due to no open water or decent ice.  Planning to hit either Trail Creek for steelhead or LK Michigan for coho and browns when I get a day off work in the next week or two.  Been about 10-12 years since I fished either one but have done well most times I fished either.  Used to fish both heavy years ago, gas was cheap and I was single with no kids.  About a 2+ hour drive to LK MI for me.
When fishing the big lake usually launch out of either Burns Harbor or Washington park, any info on launch conditions at either one?

LundProv

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:35 PM »
Sure - I know nothing about Washington Park in Michigan City as I live closer to Portage and my son, his friends and I use the Portage launch.  As you know, warm water is the key this time of year for the silver fish and I have not done this yet but my son has done well with browns and a few cohos with traditional presentations of crankbaits and jigs/twisters/squid at the US steel warm water discharge.  Used to do great in the back of the tax payers funded Port of Indiana until they considered us - the fishermen - as threats to national security with our fishing rods and we are no longer allowed in the port.  You should have no trouble launching out of Portage and just for fun, if you get bored, the lake trout are always willing to take a blade bait off the reef in front of the port this time of year.  Glad to know there is at least one other person that visits and reads this site that actually is still getting out and fishing and willing to share their adventure.  Happy New Year...

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:27 PM »

Sounds like a great time ,
 Mind sharing a few pics that would be much appreciated

Ilove2fish

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2021, 05:46 AM »
Spent a lot of time fishing the port, both from shore and boat.  Still makes me mad they shut us out, caught a lot of fish in there.  Mostly troll cranks and stick baits, always did well at the mouth of burns harbor too.   Thanks for the info on the lake trout, I will definitely give it a try.  Hopefully am able to get up there next week. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.