FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A Chilly Day for Wet Wading  (Read 770 times)

bogtrotter

A Chilly Day for Wet Wading
« on: Oct 23, 2021, 02:03 PM »
This morning, when I went to breakfast (eggs benedict, home fries and coffee at the Daily Grind in Adams), it was a  bit foggy and a rather nippy 35 degrees out.

Fortunately, by the time I went fishing on the South Hoosic from 10:15 to 11:30 AM, the sky had partially cleared and the air had warmed to a positively balmy 43 degrees.

Nevertheless, it was a chilly day to go wet wading (swim trunks and crocks) as I did, and the stream was up a little more than I expected too.

(My chest waders have holes in the soles, which I haven't been able to successfully patch so far, and I'm too cheap/lazy to travel all the way to Pittsfield to buy a new pair this late in the season).

After fishing Cheshire Harbor without any results, I drove to Adams and prospected the upper end of my milk run, from Mullen Mayflower down to just past the footbridge below the Burnett Bednarz Bridge.

After striking out at my first two go-to spots, I finally struck gold just above the footbridge, tying into a nice 13" brown, which was on the skinny side but fought well.

By this point, my feet were pretty numb, so I trudged back to my car and headed home to change for my shift at the pierogi bee for the bazaar at my kids' alma mater.

Tomorrow, a friend and I are going to give the Main Branch of the Hoosic a whirl - - I think I'll borrow my younger son's hip boots when we do.

stripernut

Re: A Chilly Day for Wet Wading
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2021, 10:28 PM »
Good Luck!

Ryan51993

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2021, 06:59 AM »
Wow tough conditions for wet wading, I'm glad you were rewarded for your efforts. I'll still wet wade through October but only if its a semi warm day. I'm hoping to do some fishing today myself, found a gorgeous little hidden pond while hiking recently and saw pickerel, thinking maybe good early ice fishing spot. Best of luck to you on the hoosic.

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2021, 04:22 PM »
No complaints.

My buddy and I went fishing on the Main Hoosic from Ashton Avenue in North Adams to Cole Avenue in Williamstown from 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM.

Fortunately, although it was only about 30 degrees when I went to church this morning, today proved both warmer and sunnier than yesterday.
It was about 43 when we started, and around 56 by the time we finished. 

Also fortunately, my using my son's hip boots worked out OK - - I didn't fall in or wade in over the tops, so it was all good.

The stream levels were a little higher than we would have preferred, but not too bad, and the scenery was superb, with the foliage on the trees nearing their belated peak (I think).

As for the fishing itself, my buddy caught a 10" brown a little on his second cast a little above the Ashton Avenue bridge, but that was the only strike we had (much less fish we caught) the entire day.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2021, 07:28 PM »
Nice trips Jim.  The dreaded leaf hatch is nearing.

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2021, 09:15 PM »
The dreaded leaf hatch is nearing.

That is the right name for it! What about the acorn rain, I have fish when it was really bad...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.