FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513835 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2715 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:02 PM »

Nice Loser! I started a few myself out of pure cabin fever. The new house has some really nice south facing windows.

drowndin dots

« Reply #2716 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:06 PM »
I'm looking at some dwarf citrus trees, and trying to find a good deal on some cedar for raised beds. That stuff if expensive....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2717 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Just use pine. Mine are 4 years in and show no signs of rot. For what cedar will cost you, you can replace pine 3 times.

Paint it with a latex solid body stain and it'll last 4 times as long.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

« Reply #2718 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:06 PM »
I'm leaning that way Bob, going to see what the Amish have first.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2719 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:30 PM »
Screw that Bob
The copper and fermeldehyde in pressure treated adds a little flavor to your veggies and fruits.

;)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2720 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Nice starts Ed.  Hope all is well with your Bride and the new house..
Use pine mine are 10 years old and just fine.. Wish i went 12" high to start with. But im hoping all of mine will be 20" tall this season...  ;)  Just cant bend over anymore.. :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2721 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:21 PM »

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2722 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Screw that Bob
The copper and fermeldehyde in pressure treated adds a little flavor to your veggies and fruits.

;)

Never mentioned pressure treated 'Mac. Wouldn't use it. Just plain old hem fir. If you can get rough sawn hardwoods at a reasonable price, go for it.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #2723 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Looking good Dom. I ripped my garden apart in the fall so I have a complete re-do coming  this spring. Trying to use some of everyone's  former pics for ideas to maximize the space I have. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2724 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:04 PM »
I'm going for some raised....raised beds. Potatoes are my new focus this year. We had such great luck and delicious results last season, I'm gonna get deeper into growing taters in a few different mediums. I'm also gonna really try the "tomtato " grafting this season. I made it grow last year but started it too late to get both tomatoes and potatoes.

Aside from that, its pickles, eating tomatoes, radishes, spinach, one and only one zucchini plant and the asparagus patch. I really can't wait for the asparagus to come alive. Had some from the store last week. AllI could think was, 

" OYE! Mine is so much better"

Rg

gotagetm

« Reply #2725 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:24 AM »
i am gonna try some raised beds this year gonna cut myself some lumber this week to build them this spring
has anyone tryed straw bale gardening? ive seen it on the inerweb and looks different i may try some with snap peas and pole beans along a chain link fence i put around my yard for my dogs gonna place them on the outside of it on the south end ,just wondering if anyone has done that type of gardening

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2726 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:27 AM »
Bob look up potatoes grown in pallet towers..   I havent done this in years . Last time i did i gave or  through away alot i couldnt keep from spoiling..
Going to do one this year..
And yes really raised beds are better..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2727 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:31 AM »
I've seen the pallet beds Dom. They're interesting. I've also thought about builidng some out of woven saplings. I think they'll grow just about anywhere and in anything as long as the soil is good. I've seen some made out of fencing where straw is put around the inside perimeter and the center is filled with soil builidng up the bed as the plants grow.

I've never tried the straw bale beds. Seems to me that you'd have to mow the tops of the bales as the seeds in them germinated. I suppose you could cover them with plastic and eliminate that problem.

I know I'm getting itchy to play in the dirt,

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #2728 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Nice starts Ed.  Hope all is well with your Bride and the new house..
Use pine mine are 10 years old and just fine.. Wish i went 12" high to start with. But im hoping all of mine will be 20" tall this season...  ;)  Just cant bend over anymore.. :-\
Thanks Dom, It really is!

I'm going with the pine, found some rough cut. Thinking I want to go 18 inches based on some of the videos I watched. Can't wait to expand the garden, Lisa's mother is pining for some old school home made wine, so I will add a lattice and start some grapes. I'm a huge fan of hard cider so more apple trees are a must. Excited to try some radishes for the first time, and looking forward to my Speragu as well! Snow is still falling heavily, but spring is in my heart.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2729 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:08 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.