FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Going to Florida!  (Read 2923 times)

buzzbomb

Going to Florida!
« on: Jan 14, 2006, 07:32 AM »
I'm heading down to St.Pete's for a week in early February and want to fish my face off.  Are the piers like Skyway the way to go?  I've been doing a little checking but I've never been to Florida before and don't know what kind of gear to take and all the species they catch are unfamiliar to me!  Would the old 10' Wonderod and a big spinning reel or baitrunner do the trick?  (Airline restrictions on package size make that about the max I think) Should I go out to the lake and find all those salt-water hooks?  Are the 2 and 3 oz sinkers I use for carp fishing making the trip with me?  What breaking strain of line should I be spooled up with?  I can't help thinking that the ledgering method I use for carp would be right for piers.   But, I see some of them are pretty high (especially at low tide), and I wonder about landing fish..... do you just haul them up and hope they don't break off?

thanks in advance, Richard

buzzbomb

Re: Going to Florida!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2006, 12:32 PM »
All I caught was a few pinfish for bait, a cowfish (now that's an odd one!), and a stingray.   Next time I will definately shuck out the $ and get on a boat for a day.  It was windy and chilly (by their standards anyway) for a few days but I did get to the Ft. Desoto pier (the wooden one) and the south skyway pier and the Gandy Bridge.  I took a big baitrunner reel and a 10' Wonderod and a med spinning outfit.   They use either a pier net or a great big treble on a rope to get fish up...the gaff (treble) isn't a c+r method of course.  It was recommended to me to bring 2 setups, a med-heavy spinner w/12-15# and something with 20 or so with a flurocarbon leader for pier fishing because they like to get around the pilings to try to break you off.  I think you should do better than I did because they were saying that the mackrel come around in March ........ If you can get the use of a canoe or kayak you'll be miles ahead in terms of being able to find fish in some of these mangrove swamps that rim Tampa Bay.   Pay attention to tides and currents, when my rod tube blew off the Desoto pier it went 1/2 mile in about 5 minutes!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.