FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Erie early spring bite  (Read 21166 times)

fishinjohn

Lake Erie early spring bite
« on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:40 AM »
Ok guys... NY season is closing here in a few days and my itch to catch walleyes isn't going away despite having a great last few weeks on the water.. I am looking to come down and fish Ohio waters for some eyes. I'm not looking for spot on spot or gps chords... Just looking to get some general Intel to help my planning! It's a 4 hour drive for me and I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before making the trip.. So, a couple questions...
What's the best place to launch from?
What is the best way to get a conditions report (these boards aren't always very active with guys (like ice shanty is).
Thanks for your help

fishinjohn

Re: Lake Erie early spring bite
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:52 AM »
3 days, 45 views AND NOBODY HAS ANY ADVICE?

wallyworld

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Can't give any advice on launches as I'm from NY also & never fished Ohio. Try doing a google search for fishing reports for Lake Erie Ohio. That should give you some different sites to check out for info  ;)  Good luck !!

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Google Mar-lu Marina
They are on a protected harbor and have their own launch ramp and docks
They also offer cottages and hotel acomadations
Very nice place and good people to deal with.

Mac

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Could always come to michigan and the detroit river or st clair river? To tell you the truth still waiting around here for the water Temps to go up to about 40*f that's Goin to be around may or first weekend in may with the snow we just got.. that snow cooled water back down and back to square one.. of waiting there is still a great white fish bite happening and on warmer days the perch in the marinas are jumbo like 10 to 15 inches big ones! That's if the ice is not their the shallow areas were perch are found are cooling off and skimming over every day  so timing is a pain.. but ya walleye is open year round on st clair rivee same with I think the great Lakes and detroit river.. so great lake I think includes erie but our river inland water ways closes tonight at midnight March 15 2017  was just out trying at huroc park and it's to d**n cold to catch any thing.. let me know if planning on heading up if you like camping I can find you those and hotels.. sorry don't know much aboUT ohio and erie in ohio.. if you chase steel head aerial canada east of point peele canda.. this is if going threw canada is a option not sure of their rules and regs but browns steelhead and big walleye are in aerial. Or the deep side of lake erie but I would give it a good half month to one month till fishing just starts again around here..  marinas etc tons of them like Luna pier and sterling state park..you can even go detroit river from erie metro park . Bait sales across from erie metro park place called bottom line bait and tackle.. from what I am hearing is the locals on the Maumee river are very tight lippedal and for good reason .. that's from the sister in laws brother.. their from Ohio and fish the maumee river a lot..just thought to say this cause Michigan's not far from Ohio .. 

fishinjohn

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:01 AM »
Google Mar-lu Marina
They are on a protected harbor and have their own launch ramp and docks
They also offer cottages and hotel acomadations
Very nice place and good people to deal with.

Mac
Thank you so much mac!!

fishinjohn

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:09 AM »
Could always come to michigan and the detroit river or st clair river? To tell you the truth still waiting around here for the water Temps to go up to about 40*f that's Goin to be around may or first weekend in may with the snow we just got.. that snow cooled water back down and back to square one.. of waiting there is still a great white fish bite happening and on warmer days the perch in the marinas are jumbo like 10 to 15 inches big ones! That's if the ice is not their the shallow areas were perch are found are cooling off and skimming over every day  so timing is a pain.. but ya walleye is open year round on st clair rivee same with I think the great Lakes and detroit river.. so great lake I think includes erie but our river inland water ways closes tonight at midnight March 15 2017  was just out trying at huroc park and it's to d**n cold to catch any thing.. let me know if planning on heading up if you like camping I can find you those and hotels.. sorry don't know much aboUT ohio and erie in ohio.. if you chase steel head aerial canada east of point peele canda.. this is if going threw canada is a option not sure of their rules and regs but browns steelhead and big walleye are in aerial. Or the deep side of lake erie but I would give it a good half month to one month till fishing just starts again around here..  marinas etc tons of them like Luna pier and sterling state park..you can even go detroit river from erie metro park . Bait sales across from erie metro park place called bottom line bait and tackle.. from what I am hearing is the locals on the Maumee river are very tight lippedal and for good reason .. that's from the sister in laws brother.. their from Ohio and fish the maumee river a lot..just thought to say this cause Michigan's not far from Ohio .. 
Thank you!! I live in NY so not quite sure how far Michigan is without googling it but I'm guessing 6 hrs or so... port Clinton is 4hrs.. I was down to port Clinton 2 years ago on the ice.. BEST ICE TRIP EVER!!!
I know they get into some hogs early spring and I'm on vacation the 2nd week in April and I have every intention on hauling boat somewhere for some serious eye fishing on a spinning rod!! I get some really nice eyes out of erie in the summer trolling with the big rods and boards but I want a 10lber on light tackle

boondox

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Thank you!! I live in NY so not quite sure how far Michigan is without googling it but I'm guessing 6 hrs or so... port Clinton is 4hrs.. I was down to port Clinton 2 years ago on the ice.. BEST ICE TRIP EVER!!!
I know they get into some hogs early spring and I'm on vacation the 2nd week in April and I have every intention on hauling boat somewhere for some serious eye fishing on a spinning rod!! I get some really nice eyes out of erie in the summer trolling with the big rods and boards but I want a 10lber on light tackle

I know some are out by Niagara Falls and if you cut threw canada that way it like 6 hours or less but ya were looking at just Going steel heading April 8 just starting back up for spring steel on the bigger rivers they start pulling in to those around then most of what's up in the rivers now is winter hold overs for steel head..walleye will probllay be heavy around may bUT early April you may get some 8 to 10 pounders in the detroit river or st clair river..in April guy next to us got two 10 lber and we got a 14 pound brown on the st clair last April 15 the water warmed quicker last year this year it real clear and cold the stained waters warms faster on stclair river.. but any how hope you get to use your vacation time and put it towards good use.. we have not been real windy the last two months but last two weeks the wind has picked up starting to stain water were hoping for a great year after this wind stains the water up..

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Port huron is 3 hours 31 min from niagra falls , ny .... Rochester , ny is east of niagra falls you could be south of that area and it's easier to go to ohio  bUT though I would mapquest the milage and hours if you cut threw canada .. did that once when I was a kid was fun any how what ever you do I am sure will be great and fun!!

fishinjohn

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2017, 05:16 AM »
Thanks guys for the insight and options. I am in the southwestern corner of NY so I think the vmbest option for me is Ohio if possible.. if there was a decent resident population of eyes in the upper end of erie (buffalo area) I'd just stick close to home.. however it's tough to find them up here this time of the year... a possibility is to stick around here and go fish the perch pods... but I am a eye hunter so that's my first and foremost fish to target

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2017, 11:11 AM »
if there was a decent resident population of eyes in the upper end of erie (buffalo area) I'd just stick close to home..

Who says there isn't?

Besides, in NYS, walleyes are out of season between March 15th and May 1st.

But don't kid yourself, there's a very decent resident population of eyes at this end.
And they do run up the rivers and creeks to spawn.  (and in the shallows and reefs in the lake)
You simply cannot target them as you can in Ohio.

wallyworld

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Sssshhhh   :whistling:  no eyes in NY Erie  :w00t:

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Sssshhhh   :whistling:  no eyes in NY Erie  :w00t:

you're right

sorry bud

:whistling:

wallyworld

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2017, 01:48 PM »
Wouldn't want anyone to waste their time & energy driving all the way to the Buffalo area to fish  8) ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2017, 03:09 PM »
yup

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.