FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: # 1 Way to stream fish for trout your opinion and why.  (Read 11005 times)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
I wanna hear from guys who get out there and get as far away from recently stocked areas as possible. Over the years I slowly evolved into a fly fisherman, my grandfather got me into all kinds of methods like worm dunking, salted minows, mepps, panther martins, bucktail jigs I even recall a few cans over corn  ::) They all catch fish. Everyone of them all has their place during certain times of the year. Then I got into fly fishing for them.To me it seems Fly fishing opens a ton of options without having to bring everything but the kitchen sink with you when you go.  What brings this whole thing up is a conversation I had the other day with a guy who does a lot of spin fishing with panther martins and mepps. He asked what are you doing out here with a flyrod in April ? He s not the first guy I had this conversation with either. Some guys think its all about dry flies or flies that float. They don't relize that streamers are kinda like mepps, martins and salted minnows. And that wooly buggers are a year round go to lure of choice. Or that when trout are feeding heavy on nymphs they could care less about how fast or slow the rooster tail comes down thru but the 2nd or third time that stone fly drifts by he is probably going to take it. I believe fly fishing gives you a huge arsenal to bring and throw at the fish where as just going out there with a box of spinners your left with choosing between a couple colors  or between more or less flash. I feel working a streamer or bugger thru the current can out produce worm dunkin or spinfishing any day of the week.  I'm not slamming anybodies fishing method infact I want to hear why you think your way is better.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

dogfishin9

• PBR me ASAP!
Re: # 1 Way to stream fish for trout your opinion and why.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2007, 11:39 AM »
I also like fly fishing but due to my skill level I tend to catch more fish on spinners than flys.
Selected as America's best in 1893

anthonyebola

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2007, 01:07 PM »
I like to Fly Fish for 'em but I usually end up with the roostertails... I approach Trout fishing somewhat like I approach Bass Fishing, I aggressively nail spots that should have fish around them... Usually deep runs, Timber, rock piles, pools, overhanging trees, undercut banks etc... and If I dont get a fish soon on the Spinner I move on, I realize that I am missing alot of fish, but for what I lack in thoroughly hitting a spot I make up for by traveling on a regular basis 2-5 Miles of shoreline.  I am mainly seeking out the most aggressive fish. It works for me :)

But for the biggest ones.... Sculpin, Madtom, or Shiner dragged slowly behind a slip sinker... usually around Dusk in deep holes...
-Espo

LilWilly

• Iceshanty-Jigmasterjr
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2007, 08:00 PM »
I dont think I have a #1 way to fish for trout, I find that using my fly rod, throwing spinners , or drifting a worm or crawler each have a time and place much like using different types of flys. Ive caught trout on worms when they wouldnt touch any fly I could throw at them and also had days where they'd only take a fly or spinner for that matter. I guess my way of fishin on any given day is really all about how im feelin and what kind of mood Im in.

jjf

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:32 AM »
I don't fly fish but i would like to learn soon. One of my goals is learn over the next year or two. I'm in no rush because I feel like I am still learning how to fish the other way. What has worked for me is: dead drifting a trout worm, panther martins and pin minnows. I have also caught them on spikes as well. In the lakes, I troll with clear wobbler's and a worm. 

mttrout

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 10:55 AM »
Flies, lures, bait......it's all good! I take it all  ;)

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 10:57 AM »
fly's...no self respecting trout deserves to be caught on worms! lol.
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Flies, lures, spinners, bait, eggs...dependent upon conditions, locations, rules etc...

The most satisfaction comes from my Fly Rod, especially dry's.
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

mttrout

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 11:11 AM »

Just the big ones ;)

fishfry

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 06:45 AM »
Guess I'm lucky that there are still a few dis-respecting Trout out there!  :D
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

fisher rich

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 07:55 PM »
fly fishing is a bit more of a challenge especially using dries which I prefer but there is nothing wrong with the streamer or bugger to bring up the lunker! I use a 5 wt. fly rod and 4-6x tippets

fish_finder

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 10:43 AM »
 I've only fished trout with a fly rod a couple of times and it was a blast but i'd much rather fish with a spinner and worm with a dropper fly, usually a muddler minnow a couple feet above the spinner
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 11:55 PM »
The best way to catch trout in rivers is with small nymphs. Mayflies, stoneflies, caddisflies, midges, leeches, scuds etc. The number you need to understand is 80. 80% of a trout's feeding is done SUBSURFACE. That means 8 out of every 10 bugs they eat will be eaten subsurface. That means if you're fishing dry flies, you are going to get 2 out of every 10 fish. The obvious way to go is subsurface. There can be some exceptions to this when there are large hatches happening etc. However if you want to catch more fish in rivers use nymphs. Prince nymphs, pheasant tails, hare's ears and chironomids, all with bead heads, are go-to flies for trout in rivers.

The best way to learn is to try it. Trust me it works.

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

thekamikazekid

• 24" 6 1/2 Lb. Brownie
« Reply #14 on: Jun 08, 2007, 04:22 PM »
There is no best way to catch trout, PERIOD.  The only trout angler who consistently catches fish is one who has mastered all techniques.  I have outfished fly fisherman on quality streams using lures, I have outfished spinfisherman using flies, and of course,  :o outfished both types of fisherman plunking minnows.  I think the best time to fly fish is when trout become more selective, and a skilled flyfisherman can catch plenty of fish.  I think a good system is to start with spinning lures, using this method you can find fish more quickly.  once you are positive of a good spot, drifting flies would probably clean out the spot.  Also you could plunk a minnow.  don't even bother flyfishing stocked trout though, any lure or bait will clean out the entire section of stream. :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.