FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: need help trolling for trout  (Read 5176 times)

fishnfrnzy

need help trolling for trout
« on: May 27, 2007, 08:25 PM »
can you guys give me any pointers how to t roll for browns and rainbows?  I have a 12ft rowboat with trolling motor and a few polls one setup with lead core.  Any bait suggestions and techniques are much appreciated.

fishin fanatic

Re: need help trolling for trout
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:10 PM »
I personaly think it varies stocked trout i find like the brown power bait nibs as they fed with that stuff for the first part of there life and wild bows its up in the air i like spinners personaly

Neptune

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 11:02 PM »
I'd first get rid of that lead core stuff(this is personal preference, can't feel a d**n thing with that stuff)...

Lure choice totally depends on the body of water.  I have used small cow bells,Ford fenders, willow leaves(basically all types of inline spinner blades) with a shnelled hook and night crawlers and have caught both in most water ways(if both are present).  Jakes lures, Mepps spinners, Rooster Tail spinner.  My old standby is a small orange with gold side rapala...seems to always catch bows!

Talk to someone who fishes the body of water you are fishing and find out what works there.  Hang out at the boat launch and ask the other fishermen what they use.... 

Good Fishing!

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:07 PM »
I ave some success trolling streamers on sinking fly line for browns, rainbows evade me tho.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

bugman1964

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:50 PM »
I use lead core line when trolling for browns and have done well. I have caught them with smelts trolled so that they roll, streamers, spoons that resemble yellow perch and smelts. A copper colored weeping willow was the ticket two weeks ago. Favorite spoons weeping willow, flash king, mooselook wobbler, speedy shiner.

Scientist

« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2007, 09:04 AM »
My favorite set up is a bait casting reel, penn 975 Lever drag, on a seven foot bait casting rod or a 8’6 foot trolling noodle rod. Eagle claw makes a good one for about $40, I think it is called Starfire. I splurged on the reel because they are nice and will last easily 30 plus years if you take care of it. The reel is spooled with 300 yds of 30lb Stren Superline, this eliminates line strech that you get with mono. I uses different size egg sinkers to get down to the correct depth depending upon conditions. Below the sinker is a solid ring ball bearing swivel; to the swivel is attached at least 3 foot to 6 foot length of fluorocarbon leader. Finally attach your lure of choice. I find that certain lures are lake specific but the old stand bys are a silver Sutton flutter spoon or a gold Luhr Jenson needle fish. Both should be in the 3 inch range for rainbows and browns. The second set of lures would be the floating stick baits such as Rapalas and Yo-Zuri pin minnows and lastly the Panther Martins in-line spinners but I would attach another snap swivel before the spinner. First start by dropping the lure 10 feet and after 15 minutes if you don’t get a strike drop it an additional 5 feet until you get a strike.  An S troll produces more trout than trolling in a straight line because it varies the speed and the depth of the lure. Just be careful to avoid tangling multiple lines; to avoid this place them at different depths with the rod going the deepest closest to the motor.   I usually fish lead core right on the bottom with a large colorful streamer for lakers because the lead core does not hang up on the bottom. Happy Trolling!!!

jjf

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2007, 08:03 PM »
I'd first get rid of that lead core stuff(this is personal preference, can't feel a d**n thing with that stuff)...

Lure choice totally depends on the body of water.  I have used small cow bells,Ford fenders, willow leaves(basically all types of inline spinner blades) with a shnelled hook and night crawlers and have caught both in most water ways(if both are present).  Jakes lures, Mepps spinners, Rooster Tail spinner.  My old standby is a small orange with gold side rapala...seems to always catch bows!

Talk to someone who fishes the body of water you are fishing and find out what works there.  Hang out at the boat launch and ask the other fishermen what they use.... 

Good Fishing!
what are ford fenders and willow leaves ??? i have never heard of them before

Neptune

jjf

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2007, 06:36 AM »
There are many different types of "Lake Trolls."  Ford Fenders are just a style as is Cow Bell or Willow leaf...check this out
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.guidesandresorts.com/30000004.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.how-to-fish.com/how_to_troll_for_trout_on_lakes.htm&h=117&w=300&sz=9&hl=en&start=48&tbnid=QdmoyXEyTs_V7M:&tbnh=45&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLuhr%2BJensen%2Bford%2Bfender%26start%3D36%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Hope this helps...

Good Fishing!

What is great about this site is people like you.  :) Thanks for responding and the link. I cant tell you how much I have learned from this site because of members like you that contribute. Thanks and Tight Lines 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.