FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I need a trout tutor.  (Read 10264 times)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: I need a trout tutor.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2012, 08:07 AM »
You really have to experiment... ive seen them hit it 12-15 inches off the wabbler and up to a foot and a half... the only ryhme or reason i can see in changing the distance is how fast you are gonna troll them and how far you want to get them down it really isnt an exact science...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

gotabig1

« Reply #16 on: Jun 06, 2012, 03:37 AM »
I fish a lake that has Rainbows and Salmon and haven't been able to get either w/ any consistency. We got 1 nice rainbow last yr. on lead core pulling a flasher w/ Mooseluck behind. Tried a flasher/ fly but all i got was Smallies. In the evenings i see the trout rise and its frustrating. I want to try nymphs and maybe some dry flies this yr., but being green to flyfishing its hard to make a presentation w/out scaring every fish within 100yds.          Has anyone heard of using an underwater light and night fishing?  I'm willing to try anything, these trout drive me nuts. I've heard many claim that powerbait or kernel corn work well for 'bows, but how can they beat an imitation of the natural food source?

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #17 on: Jun 06, 2012, 06:14 AM »
My experience with rainbows,  especialy in lakes, has always been a bummer.... Ive found them to be picky and really keyed in on certain stages of a hatch...Typicaly your going to want to lengthen your leaders and downsize tippet and bring along some nymph/emerger/dry and dun/spent stages of flies.. this way here you have all stages of a hatch covered.. That said i really dont fish rainbows much maybe a handfull of times a year...

Salmon on the otherhand i would just troll an imitation of whatever baitfish is prevalent in the lake.. And depending on what time of year it is focus around any significant inlet or outlet mostly spring and fall.. ive seen salmon hit streamers and yozuri/rapals 10 feet behind the boat basicaly in the prop wash.. i know 1 guy that will troll streamers like that all day and he does fairly well.. it seems like they are attracted by the water disturbance created..
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

pontiac787

« Reply #18 on: Jun 06, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I fish a lake that has Rainbows and Salmon and haven't been able to get either w/ any consistency. We got 1 nice rainbow last yr. on lead core pulling a flasher w/ Mooseluck behind. Tried a flasher/ fly but all i got was Smallies. In the evenings i see the trout rise and its frustrating. I want to try nymphs and maybe some dry flies this yr., but being green to flyfishing its hard to make a presentation w/out scaring every fish within 100yds.          Has anyone heard of using an underwater light and night fishing?  I'm willing to try anything, these trout drive me nuts. I've heard many claim that powerbait or kernel corn work well for 'bows, but how can they beat an imitation of the natural food source?

Be sure to check you local regs before you try a light, not that I have ever heard of using one for trout.  I've found that dillie worms are a consistent producer for rainbows. 

DIRTBALL2

« Reply #19 on: Jun 06, 2012, 09:38 AM »
gotabig1, Go back and read my earlier posting in this thread! You might find my information helpful. It sure has worked for me! ;DDIRTBALL2 ;)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

gotabig1

« Reply #20 on: Jun 06, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Thanks for your responses guys. Dirtball2 I will try that, I read your post earlier and thought that it made sense. Last year in late June and early July a hatch of Hexagenia? came off which had the trouts going crazy. I got a few of these flies and I hope that I can get a few of the dumb ones. :)

Lundin-loading

« Reply #21 on: Jun 10, 2012, 08:25 PM »
For deep deep water I would invest in a big trolling reel and load it with metered leadcore. I would drag some hardware, 3 to  4' of flashy cowbells, attached to a small bungee, then a 4' leader with a wedding band spinner. I like to replace the hook with a treble, tip it with white corn or maggots. I've never done it but you could throw a small streamer or flashy nymph on a short leader behind your trolling lures too, especially spoons. The metered leadcore is part of finding and fishing in the thermocline, always count out colors and try various distances to achieve the depth were you start finding fish, take note of the line color they hit on.

I catch most of my trout trolling a small countdown perch rapala in 7-20 fow, I also do really well pitching marabou jigs or gulp minnows.

From shore throw inline spinners like blue fox, mepps, and panther martins, float a pink marshmallow and half a worm, or spawn sacks will always produce!
Beauty

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #22 on: Jun 10, 2012, 09:00 PM »
I think I am gonna get a leadcore setup. I could use it to get shad raps way down deep for walleye too. I have a Shimano Tekota 500 reel sitting here looking for a job, I just need to find a proper rod for it.

I have a line counter trolling setup, but it may be a little too stout.

pontiac787

« Reply #23 on: Jun 11, 2012, 07:24 AM »
Skipper,

If your gonna buy a rod check out the Eagle Claw Starfire.  They are the go to lead-core rod around here.  You can pick them up for less than $30.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.