FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Berkley Trout Bait  (Read 3077 times)

TMadness1013

Berkley Trout Bait
« on: May 27, 2006, 09:36 PM »
Does anyone fish with Berkley Floating Trout Bait??  (the smelly moldable stuff in a little jar) 

If so, how do you use it?  Do you just stillfish with it over an area you would expect to find trout & wait for them to surface & bite??

Have you had much success with it? 

Thanks in advance.

JimP

Re: Berkley Trout Bait
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 05:37 AM »
Most people I know use it fished on (near) the bottom, above a sliding sinker. It's fairly effective on stocked rainbows, but no more so than an inflated head of a nightcrawler, fished the same way, or a salmon egg suspended off bottom or right on the botom, for that matter. I consider the stuff highly overrated, to be honest...You'll notice that it only really "floats" well, after it's fallen off the hook too! You'd need to use a very light hook and leader to get it to float otherwise.  -Jim

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2006, 11:27 PM »
I too have a few holes that I use the power bait. Works good on stockies.
Make a little dough ball and put it on your hook, mostly use gold smooth, long shanks, and use split shots about 7"-8" from the hook and let her sink and bounce along the bottom.
Wait for the small little peek and set the hook, Trout On.
Good luck.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Logan Johnson

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2006, 04:28 PM »
The trout bait works amazing!  I use it on a pickerel rig with weights on the very end to sink the whole thing.  I let it sit on the bottom and it works everytime!  If you are using just one hook, attach weights about 18 inches away from the hook rolled in the trout bait, that way it will have some flexibility to float.  The best way to get it on the hook is to roll it between your palms for a good 30 seconds to make it warm, it molds to the hook and stays there alot better.  Good luck fishin!

adipose

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2006, 11:12 PM »
it stays on much better with a no.10 treble.or similar

adipose

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2006, 11:13 PM »
or a dough hook.if your not sure what a dough hook is.........its a treble with a springy thing on the shank to hold bait better.something like a spring on a retracktable pen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.