FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wake up Call  (Read 1446 times)

taxid

Wake up Call
« on: Dec 15, 2021, 10:27 AM »
My latest annual health screening says I may be pre-diabetic. My father became diabetic about my age.

I'm now on the threadmill every day, and I'm counting calories with a free ap called Myfitnesspal. I've lost weight 3 times in the past only to gain it back. This time it's for keeps! Too many downsides to diabetes!

All my weight is in my abdomen not all over. I'm not obese, but that gut has got to go! No more soda, cake, and donuts, pastries which are my weak spot.

I was also experiencing acid reflux issues, but since I've cut out coffee and started exercising and losing weight, it seems to have stopped.

Can anybody else relate? I just turned 64 btw.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

popnfish

Re: Wake up Call
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2021, 01:04 PM »
yep, moderation on anything you want to eat but have more veggies

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2021, 01:04 PM »
Don't miss the acid reflux, had it from birth, got the surgery, and no more reflux (all I had to do was bend over and the acid would roll right into my mouth)! Will be 60 this coming fall, and I need to get rid of my gut... Best of luck!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2021, 01:08 PM »
yep, moderation on anything you want to eat but have more veggies

For sure! So easy to overeat in our culture.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2021, 01:08 PM »
Don't miss the acid reflux, had it from birth, got the surgery, and no more reflux (all I had to do was bend over and the acid would roll right into my mouth)! Will be 60 this coming fall, and I need to get rid of my gut... Best of luck!

I'm hoping I have it licked. Time will tell.

gotagetm

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2021, 02:06 PM »
Yup everything in moderation I was told last fall I was " pre diabetic" then I replied to Dr " I'm pre everything aren't I " no sense of humor! Haha, needless to say all good now went from 237 lb to now 197 feel much better I eat piles of fruits and veggies but alot of fish and still eat all meat I want but don't stop on way home for a sweet and I eat wayyyyy less sugar and almost no salt I never ad it to my cooked food if I do a little season salt, and I try to use minimal in my smoked meats

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2021, 02:34 PM »
Really…Really good  for you!

Both my brothers and father ended up with diabetes. No way I’m going there. My diet is completely controlled…by me.( I’m the cook). exercise every day. Cook fresh and know what’s in the food you’re eating.

As we age we need to pay attention.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Really…Really good  for you!

Both my brothers and father ended up with diabetes. No way I’m going there. My diet is completely controlled…by me.( I’m the cook). exercise every day. Cook fresh and know what’s in the food you’re eating.

As we age we need to pay attention.

Thank you and Amen.

And to think I used to run up to 10 miles a day training in high school track and cross country and topped out at 125 lbs. @ 5 feet 8 inches. Never dreamed I would ever have to diet! 

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2021, 09:33 PM »
Stay healthy , words I'm slowly working on. I'm way over weight and need to get up and exercise alot more . Started walking everyday with my wife. It's tough to get going.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2021, 03:07 AM »
But….the tough get going!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2021, 05:02 AM »
Stay healthy , words I'm slowly working on. I'm way over weight and need to get up and exercise alot more . Started walking everyday with my wife. It's tough to get going.

But you feel so good after you exercise right?  I feel so good after that and taking a shower.

I read a book once by Roger Bannister the first person to break the four minute mile. He was going to medical school and didn't have time to do long training sessions so he did interval training. He would run as fast as he could on a quarter mile track, stop briefly and then do it again. He built up an oxygen debt this way and conditioned his body actualy better than if he had run long distances every day. It built up his endurances AND speed. He also was in tip top shape and claimed it proved the body actually prefers exercise over being sedentary.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.