FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: crappies  (Read 4785 times)

nate

crappies
« on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:07 AM »
when is the best time to start catching papermouths

thanks

nate ;D ;D

jigginstick

Re: crappies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:32 AM »
 Early Spring or Late Fall, I like early spring just after ice out. But the reservoirs I like to go to are muddy now.
Jig,Jig,Jig

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2004, 03:15 PM »
I second that motion the reservoirs are very muddy right now.  The middle to end of March is when the crappies start to really turn on here in NE Indiana, that is of course if we have a few days of warm weather.  Hopefully we can have temperatures like we saw last week again soon.

High Tide

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2004, 03:55 PM »
I was catching crappie in 3 ft of water last week in a lake off of 465 in Indianapolis off of ice jigs and tube jigs.  The cold weather this week might hurt some of the fishin for a week or two, but the time is here.

asphalt_kid

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Anybody seen my ice auger?????
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2004, 04:45 PM »
Yes I agree, Now is the time to get them iceout crappie.

Hack58

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2004, 07:32 PM »
I agree with most everyone else.

The channels around Hamilton will be turning on any time now, and the last two weeks of March is usually good at Little Turkey.

Hack

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:29 PM »
Hack, you mentioned Little Turkey.  Is that the lake that ithe same lake that is across St. Rd. 4 near Story Lake?  I know Story Lake is connected by a small creek to the lake across the the highway.  There is a public access sign pointing that way, but it doesn't say the name of the lake.  Is there anywhere to fish there from shore?

Powerworm

• There's One!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:45 PM »
They were biting Friday evening. I got a few before dark. Biggest one when exactly 10" on the tape.  Felt nice to play with the long rod. lol I like to play the weather in Spring. Right before the cold fronts or day four or so of any kind of consistant weather.

Hack58

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:06 AM »
Crappie,

I'm talking about the Little Turkey just West of Big Turkey (Stroh).

In the spring the crappie fishing is great in 4 to 6 foot of water on the Northwest shore.  By the middle or end of May the area is so choked with weeds that you can't even fish it.

The Little Turkey by Story is pretty good for bluegill, but I can't remember ever catching crappie there.

Hack

Powerworm

• There's One!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Does any one fish Appleman?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.