FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishin' June 23, 2021  (Read 1005 times)

rivereddy

Fishin' June 23, 2021
« on: Jun 23, 2021, 01:51 PM »
I took the boat out to a central Indiana reservoir this morning. Along with, I took a buddy who grew up on Barkley lake in Kentucky.
We started out trolling a traditional LBL silver bass rig - a small spinner (size 1 or 2) on a leader that was three feet behind
 a "Bomber" deep diving plug.  This set up runs 12-15 feet below the surface and will catch anything that swims.  We hadn't gone
100 yards when the first fish, a keeper crappie, came on board.  We followed the track until we saw a small jump underway.  Silvers
had pinned baitfish up against the bank.  As we approached the jump got bigger and bigger as more silvers showed up.  I cut the motor about 40 yards away and took out LBL rig number 2 - namely an 8 ft spinning rod with a blade bait on 6# test line. Here the trick was to cast well beyond the
boils and then gun the bladebait quickly back through the action.  Nice sized silvers and yellow bass hammered our lures.  We even had
a few largemouths get in on the action.  At times we were surrounded by boils and only a back hand flip cast was needed to hook up. This
lasted about 20 minutes and both fish and fishermen were worn out.  We resumed trolling and seldom went more than 5 minutes without a
hookup.  My buddy kept a few for dinner. All in all a great day on the water.

fish on,

rivereddy

LundProv

Re: Fishin' June 23, 2021
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2021, 06:03 AM »
Good morning -- thanks for an interesting post and could you please explain or describe your first presentation a bit better.  I enjoy trolling and I'm intrigued to give this a try.  I am not the brightest fisherperson so please walk me through your set up.  Also, what speed to you troll this rig?  I appreciate your contributions and exchange of information on this site. 

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2021, 07:16 AM »
Clever fisherman, you!  Bomber? Is that the old crank bait that actually looks like a WWII bomb? Use to kill the largemouth with it. But, of course time moves on and new killers are developed. I am heading for the UP July 3rd for annual two weeks. I have a small box filled with "Old Time" baits, mainly wooden, that I take one day and throw only those. Catch just as many on the old retired baits as with today's killers. I do the fly tied onto a surface bait trick and catch good gills and crappie with it.
Enjoyed your report!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

rivereddy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2021, 09:03 AM »
Good Day Gents,

Somewhere on this site i pitched a rant about an old "Popular Mechanics" magazine article about fishing's "Deadly Dozen" fishing lures. One of the 12 was a "Bomber." Yes it looked like an aerial bomb from WWII. (If one googles up "classic bomber fishing lures" and clicks images
one can get a good look.)  Old ones, made of wood and metal are still around, but most of the ones available are made of plastic and metal and probably have a built in rattle. At rest the lure floats, but upon retrieve quickly sinks making it technically a deep diving crank bait.  It is not neutrally buoyant so it pops to the surface as soon as the retrieve, (or troll) stops.  All of that to be summarized by this... It makes a great downrigger.  It dives quickly, and if one gets hung up, all one has to do is stop the retrieve and it usually pops right back up.  Better, unlike dipsy divers and other mini downrigger devices it is "slick" in the water, offering no resistance when a hooked fish is reeled in.

The second element in this rig is a small inline spinner.  Again a google search of Hildebrant Spinners will provide imagery.  (As a side note,
I believe the original Hildebrant spinners were made in Indiana.)  These are small baits with only one treble hook and one spinner.  Most of the ones I use are only an inch and a half long.

The rig:  First off, remove the hooks from the bomber, but leave the eyebolts in place. The lure is tied directly to the main line using the traditional eyelet. (where the "fins" are).  To the eyebolt at the other end I attach a split ring and a good inline swivel.  From the swivel, I run a leader to the spinner. The leader length will vary.  The fish will let one know what they prefer.  My leaders run from about 15 inches to about 36.  My trolling reels are traditional "round reels" with a running line from 12-20 pound test.  The leader between the bomber and spinner is usually 6-8 pound. I have no way of measuring trolling speed, but I'd quess it's about one mph.  I let the wiggle of the rod tip tell me how fast to go. Don't be put off by the small primary bait. A fair number of big post spawn channel cats have been stung by that little spinner.

fish on,

rivereddy

RoeBoat

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2021, 10:03 PM »
Great trip and even better fishing technical data!

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2021, 08:28 AM »
Bomber baits. That's the one. I have both sizes, large and small. White, yellow and black, green, and one my buddy spray painted light blue over "Spanish wedding veil" for scale effect. Beautiful job.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

RoeBoat

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Seen them online now anywhere from $7 to $100!  I know I own a few.  I didn't realize they made so many different sizes and colors.  I guess they were even good at catching fisherman back then!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.