FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best hollow body frog bait?  (Read 1231 times)

Steve H.

Best hollow body frog bait?
« on: May 19, 2022, 03:39 PM »
I remember when it was just the Scum Frog and one or two others (Snag Proof?).  Now there's dozens.  Anyone have a preference?  Seems that some are better than others when it comes to riding upright, keeping water out, and hookup percentage.  (I know hookups are tough on all of these baits, way more misses than hooked fish).

With this warm weather coming, pads will be up soon.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

taxid

Re: Best hollow body frog bait?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 04:47 PM »
I just know the one I bought, the bass immediately bit off one of the legs. Wasn't too impressed with that. Sorry I don't know what brand it was as I pitched it in disgust. Now I just go with the good ol' jitterbug especially at night.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

BerkshireBass

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Booyah pad crashed is my favorite. Soft body and sharp hooks.

Steve H.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 09:15 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll have to check it out.  Tight lines.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 11:03 AM »

Sound choice.
Most of the time I am looking for ones that are well made and on sale... They often ask for a stupid amount of money for them... Also when I fish a frog, it is over pads, so I am looking for a frog with silicon legs that will not catch on weeds and no "popper" face, again not to catch on anything. I want that frog to be tight to the pads so when a hole opens up under it, it is not be hopping over anything... Most of the time I am using white or black and I also find it insulting every time I see a frog with mean eyes as if a bass could see them and even understand the concept of mean eyes... Or maybe their marketing department is right and anglers base their purchase on the paint job on the top of a lure that is only sometimes seen from below by the fish, most often it is shadow and movement through the pads... Love that take!

BerkshireBass

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 09:08 PM »
I also find it insulting every time I see a frog with mean eyes as if a bass could see them and even understand the concept of mean eyes... Or maybe their marketing department is right and anglers base their purchase on the paint job on the top of a lure that is only sometimes seen from below by the fish, most often it is shadow and movement through the pads... Love that take!

I feel like the majority of lures are made to catch fishermen rather than fish, especially the more expensive ones

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 05:17 AM »
Often true with a few exceptions... Most of the lures designed by Patrick Sebile are a higher-end price and worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 07:57 AM »
Sound choice.
Most of the time I am looking for ones that are well made and on sale... They often ask for a stupid amount of money for them... Also when I fish a frog, it is over pads, so I am looking for a frog with silicon legs that will not catch on weeds and no "popper" face, again not to catch on anything. I want that frog to be tight to the pads so when a hole opens up under it, it is not be hopping over anything... Most of the time I am using white or black and I also find it insulting every time I see a frog with mean eyes as if a bass could see them and even understand the concept of mean eyes... Or maybe their marketing department is right and anglers base their purchase on the paint job on the top of a lure that is only sometimes seen from below by the fish, most often it is shadow and movement through the pads... Love that take!
Good color choices. KVD FROGS in White or black color patterns for me. Bass don’t care what color a frog is. It’s all a presentation/reaction thing. I do use a 30-50# braid with a short, 12-16” length of 20# flouro leader, with a power clip on all other topwater baits. Gives the baits a little more action.
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

taxid

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 08:40 AM »
All I know is fishing a pond with lots of frogs as a kid, that largemouth bass absolutely love frogs. In fact that think they relish attacking them!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Ryan51993

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 05:31 AM »
All I know is fishing a pond with lots of frogs as a kid, that largemouth bass absolutely love frogs. In fact that think they relish attacking them!
When I was a kid we used to throw frogs out to the middle of a local pond to see if they'd make it back and some days they couldn't make it two feet before they got smashed. Nowadays I really don't frog fish much, I find dragging a weedless rigged 5 inch rubber worm over lilly pads has the same effect with less snags.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 10:22 AM »
When I was a kid we used to throw frogs out to the middle of a local pond to see if they'd make it back and some days they couldn't make it two feet before they got smashed. Nowadays I really don't frog fish much, I find dragging a weedless rigged 5 inch rubber worm over lilly pads has the same effect with less snags.

I added 100 feed trained largemouth bass to one of my ponds. Once they got to about 10 inches they would start smashing frogs but their mouths weren't big enough swallow them. So the poor frogs that were crossing the ponds to find mates would disappear and then pop back up over and over again. The bass are about 4 lbs. now and there are no frogs to be found on that pond while there are plenty of frogs in my other production ponds. I wonder why?  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.