FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Burbot mounts? Anyone?  (Read 5839 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Burbot mounts? Anyone?
« on: Apr 04, 2007, 07:20 PM »
As I look through the photos I see lots of great fish and fish mounts. ;D

I was wondering have any of you ever mounted any of the burbot you have caught? ???

If so could you share a photo of it.
I think would be a neat fish mount to see.

The only burbot mount I have ever seen was in the our provincial fish culture station.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Out4Trout

Re: Burbot mounts? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2007, 08:55 PM »
The only burbot mount I have ever seen was in the our provincial fish culture station.

WW

That's probably the only place you will find one.  :blink:

meadowpikeman

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2007, 09:14 PM »
I seen two at tobin lake last weekend and there is one up at keeley lake lodge as well but those are the only ones i have ever seen.
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

Taxidermist

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2007, 09:51 PM »
It's EXTREMELY difficult to get a nice mount from any smooth skinned fish like burbot, catfish/ bullhead etc. because of necessary detail in the form, wrinkling of the skin, and grease issues. Typically anything that is real will look like garbage, and anything that looks good is most likely a repro.

If you were to have one mounted, I would suggest a repro, either using your own fish or a commercial blank.  :D

Randy  :tipup:

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2007, 05:13 AM »
taxidermist, there was a "lets see your fish mounts" thread on here a little while back, and someone had a burb pic mounted in there. Ill see if I can dig it up for you

edit : http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=5551.15

about a 1/4 of the way down "rockbottom" posted it

Fishing is life

MIRC!

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2007, 06:46 AM »
It's EXTREMELY difficult to get a nice mount from any smooth skinned fish like burbot, catfish/ bullhead etc. because of necessary detail in the form, wrinkling of the skin, and grease issues. Typically anything that is real will look like garbage, and anything that looks good is most likely a repro.

If you were to have one mounted, I would suggest a repro, either using your own fish or a commercial blank.  :D

Randy  :tipup:
I agree , there is a Lot of shrinkage in smooth skin fish because of the oils . Most of the shrinkage will be noticed at the bases of the fins and in the top of the head . This can happen in dry preserve and wet tan mounts , It can be eliminated before the airbrush process is started though !

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2007, 06:57 AM »
My wife has a 29", 9 pounder on the wall in our living room. It is not a repro. The paint job does not reflect as much green as the fish actually had, but does represent pictures of Burbot that show more of a brownish olive color.
The wife caught this feller out of the Black river in Michigans Northern lower penninsula. She was about 400 yards from Lake Huron, fishing for Salmon. She found a dead minnow on shore, replaced her spawn with the minnow. It was at night, under a street light, she spotted the Burbot hangin around in the river hole. Played around a bit, and coaxed him into eating the minnow. The fish kinda stunk.
Mike Wagner in Watewrford Michigan is the Taxidermist who mounted this fish. He has mounted nearly 30 mounts for the wife and I.
I highly suggest getting one mounted if you can. Nice conversation piece, and it looks cool on the wall. Although the finished product does not look 9 pounds.
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

1tigger

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2007, 07:04 AM »
The finished product seldom looks as large as it did when it was caught !
It's because the angler is excited when it's caught and just wants to get it to the taxidermist .
I play around with a little taxidermy myself and see this all the time , that's why it's very important to get accurate measurements and photo's of the specimen  , preferably while the fisherman is dropping off their fish .

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2007, 01:37 PM »
Neat info guys.
I didn't know it was that tough to mount smooth skinned fish. :blink:

Thanks for the link pikemaster, Rockbottom has some nice mounts, good burbot.
It was alot longer and a bit thinner than the one I saw.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

jayswimmer09

• MUSKY ON!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2007, 04:54 PM »
one question. why???

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2007, 06:27 PM »

Fishing is life

MIRC!

1tigger

« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2007, 08:13 AM »
one question. why???

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !

mttrout

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2007, 10:50 AM »
My wife has a 29", 9 pounder on the wall in our living room. It is not a repro. The paint job does not reflect as much green as the fish actually had, but does represent pictures of Burbot that show more of a brownish olive color.
The wife caught this feller out of the Black river in Michigans Northern lower penninsula. She was about 400 yards from Lake Huron, fishing for Salmon. She found a dead minnow on shore, replaced her spawn with the minnow. It was at night, under a street light, she spotted the Burbot hangin around in the river hole. Played around a bit, and coaxed him into eating the minnow. The fish kinda stunk.
Mike Wagner in Watewrford Michigan is the Taxidermist who mounted this fish. He has mounted nearly 30 mounts for the wife and I.
I highly suggest getting one mounted if you can. Nice conversation piece, and it looks cool on the wall. Although the finished product does not look 9 pounds.

Can you post a pic? I'd like to see it.

fozsey

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2007, 07:06 PM »
I caught one i at LOTW in February through the ice. That one came in just over 10# and uglier than anything I have ever seen in my life. It did have a strange odor and I was pretty happy to see it leave. We were nailing walleye til that showed up...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.