FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Double Hat Trick  (Read 588 times)

bogtrotter

Double Hat Trick
« on: May 28, 2022, 03:01 PM »
My younger son has been hankering to try Ephs Pond in Williamstown because he heard of someone catching a gold fish there.

(For some reason, he's always wanted to catch a gold fish).

Being the indulgent father that I am, I decided to tag along, and maybe do some fishing on the Main Branch of the Hoosic afterward.

It was one of those days where the weather, while pleasant enough, just couldn't make up its mind.

Over the course of the day (10 AM to 3 PM) that I went fishing, both with my son and (towards the end) solo, the weather oscillated between rainy, sunny and cloudy, while the temps fluctuated up and down in a range between the upper 60's and upper 70's.  Although I must say that last night's rain appears to have re-charged the local streams, and improved the fishing action.

While Ephs Pond certainly isn't anything to write home about (shallow/muddy/weedy/algae-covered), my son did spot a couple of the 12" gold fish that he was targeting, and although he could not get them to play tug of war, he did manage to land a small (8") bass. 

By contrast, I had to content myself with a stunted sunfish to avoid the dreaded skunk

After Ephs Pond, we moved on to the former Spruces Mobile home park. 

My son and I began by fishing the pond in the front of the park, where we each caught a couple sunfish, but the bass eluded us.

While my son continued to fish the pond and caught a few more sunfish, I headed toward the back of the park, where the Main Branch of the Hoosic flows past it, and reeled in a 14" brown and an 11" brookie.

Next up, my son suggested the North Hoosic in North Adams, so we headed to the entrance of the Natural Marble Bridge State Park, where he promptly landed a 14" rainbow on a "trout magnet,"  while I followed him shortly thereafter by capturing its little (9") brother - - thus completing my first "hat trick" for the day (i.e., catching a brookie, a brown and a rainbow)

My son felt like calling it a day, so I drove him home and dropped him off.

But, at this point, I figured that, as long as I had caught trout on two of the Hoosic's three branches, I might as well "go for the gusto" and attempt to land a few on the South Branch as well.

So I fished for an hour on the upper end of my preferred "milk run" (between Mullen Mayflower and the footbridge on the Bike Trail) in Adams, and, happily, proceeded to net four nice (12" to 15") rainbows - - thus completing my second "hat trick" of the day.

lowaccord66

Re: Double Hat Trick
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 07:41 PM »
That's a heck if a day!  I like the recharge too, I may go tonight and throw a mouse around. Give your son credit for the trout magnet catch. I always figured the plastic was way to hard to be appealing.  Then again a jig is a jig. 

zwiggles

Re: Double Hat Trick
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 07:37 AM »
Nice report!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.