FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: TroutFishingBear's Trout of Fame (trout 7/3)  (Read 21477 times)

TroutFishingBear

Re: TroutFishingBear's Trout of Fame
« Reply #60 on: Mar 01, 2005, 10:26 PM »
Yeah...fall fishing on the kenai sounds like winter fishing on the colorado, pretty much exactly. You guys sure grow em big there though, it takes 3-4 trips between every 10 lber here. Here the flyfishing ain't so good because the colorado river is so deep.I bounce worms much like a flyfisherman does a nymph and I also fling big curly tails some too. Any technique to catch fish though is fine with me, provided it isn't dynamite! Here you can keep 2 each trip, but I probably only keep between 6-12 every year, and mostly small 10-14" browns. I did keep 3 rainbows the winter before, and 2 this winter though.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #61 on: Mar 01, 2005, 10:58 PM »
How deep is the colorado? The kenai can be pretty deep, we fish 7 to 15 feet of water with our fly rods but do have a technique that allows us to fish with fly rods in 15 to even 30 feet of water and even if i could keep many rainbows i wouldn't cuz of the importance of catch and release of course but also the rainbows don't taste to good when they are gorging on eggs and rottens salmon flesh.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2005, 10:28 PM »
Well, most of the normal holes are 20 ft. deep, with the big holes 30-35 ft. deep.  At least where I trout fish it. The current is also too powerful and very high gradient. If you can't fish 30+ ft. consistently well with a slow presentation in the winter, good luck at getting fish, you may get a few 10" browns. The colorado river is very narrow and powerful, much different than the kenai, which if I am not mistaken is very wide. Flyfishing is very good in wide rivers with less current, but not so good in the colorado. Gotta use different techniques in different places, like with pretty much everything.

Here's a nice colorado river rainbows/cuttbows:
[/img]

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #63 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Here's some more ;D

mack can catch fish too ;) the scary thing about this bow is part of its tail was bitten off as you can see. The trout in this river can get insanely huge. Just sunday I hooked a 10-12 lber (not sure on weight) at the bridge hole and it took me 200 yards downriver or so before I got it close to the bank and it cut my line like swiss cheese.
[/img]
this fish is pretty typical.
[/img]
as is this one
[/img]
how did these two pictures get in here? Icefishing from vega a few months back
[/img]

[/img]

Hope you enjoyed this small update. I have a few pictures coming in of some fish caught on the river...can't wait to start bass fishin' either.

Mikepike

« Reply #64 on: Mar 17, 2005, 08:57 PM »
been a while since you have updated, i was starting to think you quit fishing! great trout and pics. :thumbup_smilie:

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #65 on: Mar 18, 2005, 11:54 PM »
been a while since you have updated, i was starting to think you quit fishing! great trout and pics. :thumbup_smilie:
I'm going through one of my times of not taking pictures. I just wanna release the fish and get fishing again. Haven't caught anything with bragging rights lately anyway, just lots of 2-4 pounders, nothing worth bragging about. I am going catfishing sunday and might get a few small 1-4 lb. channels. I can't wait to post a picture of a "monster" channel. Watch out TH!!!Lol ::) (If can catch one that is)

archbishop

« Reply #66 on: Mar 28, 2005, 03:41 PM »
man thats alot of pics keep them coming guys
p.s. how do you like those 1 man pontoon boats on the first page?

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #67 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:57 PM »
Those one man pontoon boats are awesome. We take them on class IV rapids all the time and they are hard to tip! They don't puncture on rocks either. They can also go in very shallow water. They are great for any river and small lake but I wouldn't dare take one on a big lake.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #68 on: Mar 29, 2005, 10:39 PM »
I have to agree that the right pontoon boat can be great for floating. However the best thing one man floating craft i have used has to be the water master it is way more stable than pontoon boats and can usually hold more gear.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #69 on: Mar 29, 2005, 11:09 PM »
By the way everyone, new pics are coming soon! I dropped off a roll today. My other roll still has 16 pics on it left but they are all pictures of my fish. Hopefully I can use those up this weekend and I will have two new rolls to put on here 8)

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #70 on: Mar 31, 2005, 06:26 PM »
I have to agree that the right pontoon boat can be great for floating. However the best thing one man floating craft i have used has to be the water master it is way more stable than pontoon boats and can usually hold more gear.

Hmm Kodiak could you by chance show me a pic of a water master?

Tyler

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #71 on: Mar 31, 2005, 06:40 PM »
I did a google search, here you go.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #72 on: Mar 31, 2005, 06:42 PM »
Here is a pic of a fully loaded Water master. There are different models this one is called a kodiak, gee i wonder where they got that name ;). They are made in mizzoula montana and their home page is www.kickboat.com. Trust me these things are awesome, they work great in lakes but shine in rivers such as the colorado.

archbishop

« Reply #73 on: Mar 31, 2005, 07:00 PM »
how are they in shallow rivers are they pretty tough? also whats the price you or pasquatch do you remember from the search? or i guess i could look it up

archbishop

« Reply #74 on: Mar 31, 2005, 07:06 PM »
never mind i found it :o $1,300 is a little out of my range by about 1,000

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.