FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What Color to Paint the Bottom of your Boat..?  (Read 10076 times)

fishin4em2

What Color to Paint the Bottom of your Boat..?
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:42 PM »
I made it to Oneida NY for a week of fishing (didn't do well) , but i noticed that the people who had white bottom boats ( me and others ) didn't do as well as the boats with color on the bottoms. We were drifting with a worm on a hook and a split shot in 9-14' of water just like everyone was and we caught a lot less fish. So i figured that it had to be the white bottom. Sounds kind of dumb, I know...
 If you guys could tell me what color your boats are, I might be able to decide which is best for me.

Thanks Folks for any input!

Fishin 4 em too
We're all just Fish'n for em too!   τΏτ╗

MasterAngler

Re: What Color to Paint the Bottom of your Boat..?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:10 PM »
I have always fished out of aluminum boats with no paint, so its a greyish bottom, and do well.  Never really thought much about it, but I guess it would be no different than wearing bright clothing when fishing shallow and/or clear water.  A duller color that resembles an overcast or partly cloudy sky would be a good idea, perhaps a shade of blue that would work on overcast or clear days.
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:15 AM »
I dont know how much insight this will give you, but the natural color looking up from the fish's perspective would be blue and white. They sky and clouds. Nature has designed fish and frogs to have white or light bellies, so that predators looking at them from the bottom will see the white belly camouflaged with the sky and clouds. On the other hand most fish have a dark back so that predators looking from the air, and fish on top of fish look down onto dark backs that blend in with the water. Personally I have never noticed a difference in how many fish a white bottom boat catches compared to a colored bottome boat. I too use aluminum only (pontoon boat, 12' row boat, and pontoon paddleboat) all grey bottomed. I think the key is trying to be still in the boat and not sending loud noises and vibrations in the water. Sound travels faster through water than sound in air. Whenever I am in water that is clear and relatively shallow, I try to imitate the floating log, as to not scare the fish. This works extremely well and I have gotten pretty close to some real nice fish. I know carp probably dont matter to much, but as an example, when I am real still and move slow in my boat, ive actually had carp come up and investigate the boat.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

dukhnter8

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 06:54 AM »
Never gave it much thought, except that a friend of mine had his boat bottom painted white at the water line the rest was camo and had SOS written in florescent orange.  I asked him why one day and he said if his boat ever flipped and he was clinging to it, the rescuers would be able to see him better. Just a thought.

Quack_Attack

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 07:26 AM »
I have personally owned or do own, white, red, marsh grass, OD green, and just plain old oxidized aluminum, bottomed boats. While fishin' Bass TX's I've been in boats of just about every color and shade. I can say that I've really never noticed a difference.

This is not to say however that the presence of a boat will not spook fish especially in shallow or clear waters. That is why many walleye and early season salmon/trout fisherman use boards or outriggers to get their lures away from the boat while trolling.

If other boats in the area are catching fish and you are not it is probably a presentation issue, depth, speed, size, color etc. or a combination.
"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

www.muck-boy.com

http://www.refugepics.com/members/Quack_Attack/index.html

aquaman

• I,ll be home before dark. ( yeah right)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Last boat was fiberglass white bottom and caught lots of fish even spooky suspended walleye. First boat was wood with that anti fouling black (only color they had) and i thought oh crap this is going to be one big ominous shadow hovering over head of these fish. Wrong, that wood boat slayed em. Go figure
I remember EVERY TIME I fished or hunted. The REST of the time I...uh...um..... musta been doing something else that didnt matter.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 07:58 AM »
I remember Babe Winkelman lecturing at a fishing show advise not to fish from a yellow boat, as generally in nature yellow is a color of warning to animals. That was many years ago and don't know if he'd stick to that story or not. How bout you "yellow boat" guys? What do you think?
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

aquaman

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 10:09 AM »
I remember Babe Winkelman lecturing at a fishing show advise not to fish from a yellow boat, as generally in nature yellow is a color of warning to animals. That was many years ago and don't know if he'd stick to that story or not. How bout you "yellow boat" guys? What do you think?
I remember swede peterson lecturing how never to fish out of a red sun runner cause it would take you out to 75 ft and stop running.
I remember EVERY TIME I fished or hunted. The REST of the time I...uh...um..... musta been doing something else that didnt matter.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:36 AM »
I remember swede peterson lecturing how never to fish out of a red sun runner cause it would take you out to 75 ft and stop running.

Cute, real cute.

BTW I see it's for sale again if you're interested.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

aquaman

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 02:13 PM »
Cute, real cute.

BTW I see it's for sale again if you're interested.
Yipes....................Ill take "battery acid enema for 200 alex"

Slammerman

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 08:33 PM »
I just wouldn't paint any big eyeballs or open mouth full of teeth on the bottom. ;D
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

kayak2fish

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 08:56 AM »

I fish from a yellow kayak and at first I had considered painting it because, I hate yellow and, perhaps more importantly, I thought the fish would get spooked. After a few trips on big water in the fog and during the dark, however, I decided the yellow was worth the increased visibility - to other boaters. I think now I may try and two-tone it though. I have consistently caught fish, I am just not knocking 'em dead. Maybe a grey bottom? Anybody have any advice on what kind of paint to use on plastic kayak?

Scientist

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 12:42 PM »
I Anybody have any advice on what kind of paint to use on plastic kayak?
Krylon makes a specific line of paints for plastics. The color bonds with the plastic and is less likely to peel and the surface does not have to be scuffed up prior to painting. However, Not sure how long the color will last if the bottom is dragged on stone or concrete while launching.

venisonman

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 01:29 PM »
 I have an Ocean Kayak brand kayak/canoe, called the Ambush. It came in drab olive.
I used the Krylon. It comes in many colors and is called Fusion. It works without priming or scuffing.
It comes in many colors. KMart and Walmart carry it , as well as home improvement places.
I wanted to break mine up in camo for duck hunting, but  I use it for fishing as well.
It holds up pretty well. I do take 5 minutes to touch it up every Spring.
Sometimes I touch it up to adapt during duck season, depending on how green or how much snow we have.
That's mine on the right.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.