My Fish Finder Main > General Fishing Discussion
What Color to Paint the Bottom of your Boat..?
<< < (3/3)
Slammerman:
I just wouldn't paint any big eyeballs or open mouth full of teeth on the bottom. ;D
kayak2fish:

--- Quote from: JerryofWNY on May 16, 2007, 07:58 AM ---I remember Babe Winkelman lecturing at a fishing show advise not to fish from a yellow boat, as generally in nature yellow is a color of warning to animals. That was many years ago and don't know if he'd stick to that story or not. How bout you "yellow boat" guys? What do you think?

--- End quote ---

I fish from a yellow kayak and at first I had considered painting it because, I hate yellow and, perhaps more importantly, I thought the fish would get spooked. After a few trips on big water in the fog and during the dark, however, I decided the yellow was worth the increased visibility - to other boaters. I think now I may try and two-tone it though. I have consistently caught fish, I am just not knocking 'em dead. Maybe a grey bottom? Anybody have any advice on what kind of paint to use on plastic kayak?
Scientist:

--- Quote from: kayak2fish on May 20, 2007, 08:56 AM ---I Anybody have any advice on what kind of paint to use on plastic kayak?

--- End quote ---
Krylon makes a specific line of paints for plastics. The color bonds with the plastic and is less likely to peel and the surface does not have to be scuffed up prior to painting. However, Not sure how long the color will last if the bottom is dragged on stone or concrete while launching.
venisonman:
 I have an Ocean Kayak brand kayak/canoe, called the Ambush. It came in drab olive.
I used the Krylon. It comes in many colors and is called Fusion. It works without priming or scuffing.
It comes in many colors. KMart and Walmart carry it , as well as home improvement places.
I wanted to break mine up in camo for duck hunting, but  I use it for fishing as well.
It holds up pretty well. I do take 5 minutes to touch it up every Spring.
Sometimes I touch it up to adapt during duck season, depending on how green or how much snow we have.
That's mine on the right.
Navigation
Message Index
Previous page

Go to full version